First Meeting With Producer, Am I Ready?

Hey guys,

So I've got my first meeting coming up soon with a Producer that could potentially change my career in a massive way. I'm going to be writing a script for him and we're meeting to talk about where to start etc.

I'm fairly sure that I've got all my bases covered, but that's what I always think, until about 5 minutes beforehand.

I've got a load of questions to ask him including:

- What style of film are you looking for?
- How long would you like the film to be?
- What main characters would you like to be in the film? (Film is based on real events, so I need to know who he would like to see in film)
- How serious would you like the film to be? (It could go either way with the subject, so I think this is relevant)
- How big is the budget for stunts etc?

I'm also going to pitch a couple of ideas to him that I've thought of already, different styles and moods etc.

I'm going to take a notepad along and write down pretty much everything he say's.

Is there anything else you would advise me to ask or to do (even how to dress, do I go very formal or casual)?

Thanks

Ask who is the target audience for the film, male/female/under/over 25yo?
20120213FilmDemographicQuadrants.png

Where it will be shown? Domestic UK audience? Foreign EU/US/RoW audiences?

Is distribution already in place?
This going to festival or broadcaster?

What are your CGI SFX capabilities or practical effects resources?

What are some films you'd like to emulate or avoid?

Are there locations that you want to use or have a pool of locations to choose from?

Three act structure, hero's journey, or off the chain indie?

Leave the ending open for a sequel or button it up, all loose ends tied?

What kind of ending do you want? http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?p=200756#post200756
  • Complete Victory!
  • Acceptable Alternative
  • Pyrrhic Victory
  • Dark Ending
  • Twist Ending
  • Summation
What's the turn around time you'd like for the screenplay?
How rough or polished do you want it before altering plot points based on resources or marketing decisions?

Business casual dress should be fine.
Shave and a haircut.
Try to look professional, not granola artsy-fartsy.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

So I've got my first meeting coming up soon with a Producer that could potentially change my career in a massive way. I'm going to be writing a script for him and we're meeting to talk about where to start etc.

I'm fairly sure that I've got all my bases covered, but that's what I always think, until about 5 minutes beforehand.

I've got a load of questions to ask him including:

- What style of film are you looking for?
- How long would you like the film to be?
- What main characters would you like to be in the film? (Film is based on real events, so I need to know who he would like to see in film)
- How serious would you like the film to be? (It could go either way with the subject, so I think this is relevant)
- How big is the budget for stunts etc?

I'm also going to pitch a couple of ideas to him that I've thought of already, different styles and moods etc.

I'm going to take a notepad along and write down pretty much everything he say's.

Is there anything else you would advise me to ask or to do (even how to dress, do I go very formal or casual)?

Thanks

I'd go along the lines of:

Do you have any thoughts in particular you're after?

Like Rayw said, target audience always helps. Experienced producers will usually choose Males under 25 category... Inexperienced want to target everything.

A good question, but often a producer won't know. Did s/he have any stars in mind for the role?

Budget usually isn't a great question. I can see where you're going and if you had any experience in being a UPM I would say sure ask that.

Was there anything said in the lead up to the meeting?

If so, cover what was asked or suggested. If not, suggest you come up with ideas/concepts/characters for him with his/her notes in mind and schedule a meeting in short time to see if you're on the track s/he would like.

Sometimes the first meetings are just to get to know who you are and whether they get a feel they'd like to work with you. Don't be too nervous and be yourself. Producers are always looking for talented people who are a good fit to work with/for them.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Judging by the way you phrased the question, I'm guessing that this is someone that you don't know well and haven't worked with/for in the past. Based on that, I would recommend that you not bring up ideas for other projects. Unless he/she asks if you have any ideas for other films, you should keep the meeting focused on the project that the producer brought you in to discuss. Once you have the gig and everything is going well and you know that the producer is happy with your work, then you can pitch your projects. Best of luck to you.

An update for you all:

I had the meeting and it went great, we're going to be getting the ball rolling on Monday. It looks like it's going to be a very exciting project and could end up going very far.

I can't say what the project is yet as I'm not sure how they are going about promoting it.

Though you can be sure that as soon as know I'm allowed to say something, I'll post it on here!

Thanks again for the advice guys!

Back