First Look - Panasonic HD

I have serious problems with the thrid act development of your treatment Rick.

First of all, I I'm the Jack Bauer of this story...you can't kill Jack, thus you can't kill me.

Second of all, everyone knows that Ice Cream trucks are restricted by law from killing anyone over the age of thirteen.

Third of all, Zen's line into the camera. Kiwis do not celebrate the secular "birthday" holiday.

And lastly, where'd my sex scene go?

Poke

lux,

What makes this canmera special is it will be the first camera under $10,000 to record 1080P with 24P. The new Sony's will do 1080i, but no 24P.

Regarding the P2 cards, an 8 gig card will hold around 40 min. of 1080P footage. The bummer is one of these card cost $4000!!!

Rumor has it is that it will reocrd standard definition video on mini-DV tape and HD on P2 cards.

Scott

Some official specs:

"With the AG-HVX200, HD and SD video is recorded on the P2 card as IT-friendly MXF files that can be downloaded to a nonlinear editing system or server, or edited virtually instantly from the P2 card by connecting an IEEE 1394 or USB2.0 interface. P2 cards mount like a regular hard drive from a NLE system’s point of view, which eliminates the time-taking task of digitizing footage. This speeds up workflow and ensures a smooth, fast acquisition-through-editing system that integrates the benefits of IT throughout the production and newsgathering process. For newsgathering, the AG-HVX200’s pictures are enhanced with its built-in news gamma curve that assists the ENG photographer by suppressing over-saturation in highlight areas during sudden contrast changes. With its pre-record function, the AG-HVX200 starts recording from the moment it’s switched on, so users can feel confident that they won’t miss an important shot. With easy selection of SD or HD recording, news organizations that commit to the AG-HVX200 today are assured a future-proof migration to HD news on their own timetable.

For unprecedented mobility and ease of use, the AG-HVX200 uniquely combines a native progressive 16:9 3-CCD high definition imaging system and a HD-quality Leica Dicomar wide-angle zoom lens with a super-smooth, cam-driven manual zoom, focus ring, and aperture dial in a rugged package. On the newly-announced 8G P2 card, the AG-HVX200 records for 32 minutes in DVCPRO or DV, 20 minutes in 720p/24, 16 minutes in DVCPRO50, and eight minutes in 1080i/60 and 720p/60. The camcorder includes two P2 card slots to permit continuous recording, and the cards are hot swappable to assure non-stop recording. Like VariCam, the
AG-HVX200 can capture fast or slow action in 720p at various frame rates.

The AG-HVX200’s 4:3 viewfinder displays a 16:9 image in letterbox, which allows the user to view vital camera operating information in areas above and below the image. In addition, its 3.5” LCD monitor is available to assist shooting as well as to view and select thumbnail clips to speed editing. The LCD monitor allows random access to the thumbnail-displayed scenes (on the P2 card) for instant playback and the creation of an in-camera storyboard.

Audio performance is superb with 4-channel non-compressed 48KHz/16-bit digital audio in DVCPRO HD and DVCPRO50 and two channels in DVCPRO and DV. The HVX200 is loaded with system interfaces (including IEEE 1394 and USB 2.0), and professional interfaces including two XLR audio (with +48 volt phantom power) inputs, a component (D4) output, composite in/out, S-video in/out, audio (RCA) in/out, and headphone output.

For operator convenience, the camcorder is highly customizable with features including six user scene files, three user setup buttons, and Camera Setup Memory (up to eight camera setups can be saved to a SD Memory card). Other key features include Shot Mark and Time Code Stamp functions, and interval recording in Mini-DV on tape. The AG-HVX200’s targeted weight is under five pounds.

The AG-HVX200 will be available in Fall 2005 at a suggested list price of $5,995."

--------------

6K? DAMN!

Not sure if you found what you were seeking but this is what I hear:

The camera will record SD to tape (it does have a tapedrive)
Any external firewire or USB drive can be used as storage in place of P2. Panasonic Engineers have reported streaming to an Ipod apparently. This means no need for a 3rd party piece of equipment such as firestore.

Buy yourself a 500BG hard drive for a few hundred dollars and you can record for a LONG time :D

I just read that the price of an 8 gig card has dropped to around $1400 which is much less that the price of $4000 I heard earlier. Now that's just a rumor, but I wouldn't be surprised if the prices dropped.

Scott

Back