First Feature - Pre-production

Hi guys,
I'll be shooting my first feature in Sept/Oct this year and was looking for some advice on the best way to make my way through the thousands of things that need to be organised before shooting begins.

A little bit of background info ...

I'll be working with a very small crew: myself, DP, AD, location sound recordist, lighting, grip.
Only the location sound recordist will be getting payed.

There's only four locations where I'll be needing permits, the rest are inside the homes of friends.

There's only one scene with more than three characters, the rest of the scenes are fairly evenly split between having two and three characters.

So, this is my current plan ...

- Finish third draft of script.
- Enquire about/confirm locations I'll need permits for.
- Shoot footage at locations to help create storyboards.
- Confirm extra equipment I'll need once storyboards are complete.
- Hire crew that isn't already attached: location sound recordist, lighting.
- Casting.
- Confirm shooting schedule.
- Rehearsals.
- Shoot.

I'm big on storyboards which is why I want to book my locations first, then visit them to work out what shots will work and whether I'll need any extra equipment for the scenes that will be shot there.

I know it's all very vague, but is this the best order to go about things?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I think your order is fine...you can never have too much preproduction.

The only thing I would say (my opinion) is don't go crazy with story boards. And don't waste a lot of time 'shooting' locations for story boards. If you really need the actual location for reference, take stills...that should be fine. As long as you have a SHOT LIST, you are good to go. I personally think a shot list is more important than a story board...and I don't see that listed in your things to do...

Good luck.

Back