• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

First effort at a TV show

Right, I couldn't sleep this evening so I thought I'd sit down and bash out a pilot episode of a TV show. It's something I've never even tried before so I figured it couldn't hurt giving it a go.

I've been watching a lot (indeed, all) of Girls recently, which I think is great and whose style I kind of want to steal but applied it to a British university setting. Which is what I've done. And because Girls has inspired me to be all self-referential, there's a certain amount that I've drawn from real life and, shock horror, the main character is called Nick...

It's only 18 pages long, so it's not quite fleshed out as a full pilot episode but I was curious to know what people made of the tone of the piece, the humour and whether I've managed to plagiarise with any degree of success. If you are going to read it then please be aware that it contains bad language and content that wouldn't be appropriate in a PG-13. You have been warned.

But, yeah, I'd love some feedback. It was just an experiment and I wrote it super quickly so I'm not sure whether it makes sense (plus it's 4am).

Educated 'Pilot'!

Hello there! First off, let me say that as an American reading a Brit's writing, there are probably a few of the nuances I won't understand right off. However, I will say I watch a somewhat significant amount of British television for an American, so I think I understand the feel of the show well enough.

Second, I've been working on my own group's television pilot nonstop for about two and a half weeks, getting it ready to pitch to a network. I just sent the final grammar edit on the Pilot to our co-creator last night, and may I just say, it is incredibly refreshing to read some new material, after having looked at nothing but our own show for that long.

So, without any further delay, my thoughts.

I give what's been written an 8 out of 10.

Things I didn't understand:

-The whole contraceptive joke. I had to go back and reread a couple of lines, and even then I'm still not sure I understand it. It probably would be much easier if I heard it read aloud, or if I heard an actor's particular delivery, but maybe it's just me.

-Nothing happened between the first and second scenes. It felt like there was a section of time missing from that spot, something that might have expanded the world of the show a little bit. My suggestion would be to add something to introduce another character or two from another side of Nick's life, such as coworkers from his job, or a second set of friends that may not be acquainted with the rest we see at the party, or possibly something to show how Nick's life isn't going too well outside of his own existentialistic episodes at home. Anything extra to help establish or flesh out Nick's character right away would fit right at home in that spot. Maybe a scene involving the costumes being vomited on, or the handjob in question during the quad scene.

-The party before the party. It seemed strange that everyone would be at Fred's, drinking mango drinks before going to an actual party later. It seems like that conversation would fit better during the walk to the main party. That way they can have drinks in hand, but they're already in costume and on their way to the next scene's location. As it sits, in Fred's room, it almost feels like a scene where they would be gathering to plot a heist, not talking about their costumes and a party they don't seem to be interested in going to. If they're going, they would be going while drinking, not drinking at home, then heading out. And maybe that's a cultural hurdle that I'm not seeing over, being American. That might just be how it is across the way, and I don't know. So take this one with a few grains of salt, if you will. :)

And that's really it for criticisms.

Things I loved:

-The Pixar joke.

-Drunk Nick. He seems to gather quite a bit of confidence after his vodka leaves and Cinderella arrives, much to my amusement.

-The pacing. This is extremely well paced for someone who hasn't ever tried writing for television before. Most people don't realize how incredibly different Television writing is from any other kind of writing. You seem to get it, which, once again, is refreshing. The scenes flow well, and apart from the extra scene that seems to be missing (and that might just be me), the timing seems right between lines of dialogue, each character gets an even amount of lines, and characters enter and exit at the right times.

-A spectacular lack of grammatical/spelling errors. My own group has trouble staying away from ugly grammatical errors in the stage directions, which I spent an hour and a half fixing last night, so good on you for not having any yourself. (Especially for a script written around four in the morning.)

Other thoughts:

-Conflict. Where is it? I mean, I know that it's only 16 pages long, so it's understandable that it hasn't shown up yet. But you really can't judge this piece any further until there's some good, meaty, unjust, brick-to-the-face Conflict. I really feel that Nick needs to have some bad luck soon, so he has something to overcome. Like I said earlier, writing for Television is monumentally different than any other visual medium. Television needs more conflict than anything else, and that's why sitcoms flourish, being so formulaic. You have characters and then you find something for them to fight about for a half hour, and then resolve it so you can do it again in the next episode. Shows like Lost have twenty conflicts going on at any given time, and while Lost tended to get confusing, it was very engaging because of it. The only episodes of Lost I lost interest in were at the start of season 3, where there was nothing but dialogue for about 3 episodes. It got very boring, very fast, and it was a letdown after the finale of season 2.

Overall, like I said, a very solid 8 out of 10. I would very much like to read more, and that's key. You have me hooked all around, on a set of solid, genuine-feeling characters with loads of potential for development, a relatable setting, and hopefully soon, some fantastic, nail-biting, irritating, juicy conflict.

I can't wait to read more!

Thanks a lot for reading, really appreciate the feedback. Let me respond to a few things!

Things I didn't understand:

-The whole contraceptive joke. I had to go back and reread a couple of lines, and even then I'm still not sure I understand it. It probably would be much easier if I heard it read aloud, or if I heard an actor's particular delivery, but maybe it's just me.

You might be right, I'm definitely not wedded to it. It made sense in my head but, crucially, if it doesn't make sense to other people then it's a bust!

-Nothing happened between the first and second scenes. It felt like there was a section of time missing from that spot, something that might have expanded the world of the show a little bit. My suggestion would be to add something to introduce another character or two from another side of Nick's life, such as coworkers from his job, or a second set of friends that may not be acquainted with the rest we see at the party, or possibly something to show how Nick's life isn't going too well outside of his own existentialistic episodes at home. Anything extra to help establish or flesh out Nick's character right away would fit right at home in that spot. Maybe a scene involving the costumes being vomited on, or the handjob in question during the quad scene.

My idea is that between these two scenes there's be the opening credits sequence. So the first scene sets up the episode (in this case it's Nick arriving at Fred's door depressed) and then the next scene picks up the next day when they finally speak (i.e. they start by discussing his recent break-up).

I was tempted to throw in another scene and, when I flesh the pilot out, that'll probably be one of the places that gets an additional scene. But I really like the way in shows like Girls and The Office, each episode starts with a scene that is tonally, rather than narratively, relevant.

-The party before the party. It seemed strange that everyone would be at Fred's, drinking mango drinks before going to an actual party later. It seems like that conversation would fit better during the walk to the main party. That way they can have drinks in hand, but they're already in costume and on their way to the next scene's location. As it sits, in Fred's room, it almost feels like a scene where they would be gathering to plot a heist, not talking about their costumes and a party they don't seem to be interested in going to. If they're going, they would be going while drinking, not drinking at home, then heading out. And maybe that's a cultural hurdle that I'm not seeing over, being American. That might just be how it is across the way, and I don't know. So take this one with a few grains of salt, if you will. :)

:D This bit made me laugh a lot.

Sorry if I haven't been clear enough but the show is set in a British university, so all the characters live on campus together. Given that it's all semi-autobiographical, I can confirm that 98% of the time we got out to a party, we pre-drink in someone's room before hand. And 96% of those times we play 'never have I ever'.

That scene could literally have been lifted from any number of nights last year!

And that's really it for criticisms.

Things I loved:

-The Pixar joke.

-Drunk Nick. He seems to gather quite a bit of confidence after his vodka leaves and Cinderella arrives, much to my amusement.

-The pacing. This is extremely well paced for someone who hasn't ever tried writing for television before. Most people don't realize how incredibly different Television writing is from any other kind of writing. You seem to get it, which, once again, is refreshing. The scenes flow well, and apart from the extra scene that seems to be missing (and that might just be me), the timing seems right between lines of dialogue, each character gets an even amount of lines, and characters enter and exit at the right times.

-A spectacular lack of grammatical/spelling errors. My own group has trouble staying away from ugly grammatical errors in the stage directions, which I spent an hour and a half fixing last night, so good on you for not having any yourself. (Especially for a script written around four in the morning.)

Thanks!

Nick (the character) is relatively confident, just in a neurotic way. What alcohol serves to do is take away the neuroses!

Other thoughts:

-Conflict. Where is it? I mean, I know that it's only 16 pages long, so it's understandable that it hasn't shown up yet. But you really can't judge this piece any further until there's some good, meaty, unjust, brick-to-the-face Conflict. I really feel that Nick needs to have some bad luck soon, so he has something to overcome. Like I said earlier, writing for Television is monumentally different than any other visual medium. Television needs more conflict than anything else, and that's why sitcoms flourish, being so formulaic. You have characters and then you find something for them to fight about for a half hour, and then resolve it so you can do it again in the next episode. Shows like Lost have twenty conflicts going on at any given time, and while Lost tended to get confusing, it was very engaging because of it. The only episodes of Lost I lost interest in were at the start of season 3, where there was nothing but dialogue for about 3 episodes. It got very boring, very fast, and it was a letdown after the finale of season 2.

Yeah, this is a good point.

I think I need to make it more explicit that Nick has just broken up with someone at the start of the show because that's kind of where it goes from there. Each character has their own individual sets of conflict (are Fred and Jacob in love? What happens when Jacob goes back to the US? Will Clarence ever find someone who appreciates his eccentricities?) that will need to blossom. I'll probably try and make these clearer in a second draft.

Thanks so much for reading, really appreciate the feedback!

Firstly, I won't watch Girls on principle so I can't speak to how accurate your 'rip-off' is, but I do think you've captured that very hipster voice here. So, mission accomplished. I think?

10 points for using coitus in a sentence, although I don't know anyone who actually has ever done so :P

People still play never have I ever? I have a lot of fun half-memories of that :)

I think, for the most part, it definitely works. There were some lines that made me laugh, and the dry humor works.

"It's a good cancer preventative." :)

Nick as the old man from Up is really funny, especially since he's got sort of an old-man personality going on anyway (see above quotation.)

I like the ending. I'm happy for Nick that he hooked up, it leaves it plenty open for future episodes, and the final puking punchline has a nice timing.

Unfortunately, on the whole, it's not really any sort of thing I can relate to, so I don't think personally I would watch it. That's not necessarily a negative, I'm sure you're aware you're only going to appeal to a niche audience. :)

As an American, I can attest that pre-gaming is definitely a thing. You get to hang with just your friends before you get to the noisy club/bar and it saves you a lot of moneys worth of overpriced drinks.

Firstly, I won't watch Girls on principle so I can't speak to how accurate your 'rip-off' is, but I do think you've captured that very hipster voice here. So, mission accomplished. I think?

10 points for using coitus in a sentence, although I don't know anyone who actually has ever done so :P

People still play never have I ever? I have a lot of fun half-memories of that :)

I think, for the most part, it definitely works. There were some lines that made me laugh, and the dry humor works.

"It's a good cancer preventative." :)

Nick as the old man from Up is really funny, especially since he's got sort of an old-man personality going on anyway (see above quotation.)

I like the ending. I'm happy for Nick that he hooked up, it leaves it plenty open for future episodes, and the final puking punchline has a nice timing.

Unfortunately, on the whole, it's not really any sort of thing I can relate to, so I don't think personally I would watch it. That's not necessarily a negative, I'm sure you're aware you're only going to appeal to a niche audience. :)

Thanks for the feedback :)

Out of interest, why won't you watch Girls 'on principle'?

Out of interest, why won't you watch Girls 'on principle'?

I have a few very petty reasons why I don't have any interest in the show. But the 'on principle' part is mainly the fact that somehow these girls live in one of the biggest metropolitan cities in the western world, and yet there is not a person of color to be seen. I don't know anyone of my generation, especially living in a big city like Chicago, who only have friends of one race. I think this kind of unintentional racism should not be encouraged.

Also, I'm afraid I'll like it. ;)

Thanks for all the responses.

@Dready: I know that some people have been offended by the lack of multiculturalism in Girls but I'm not sure that I think that's a particularly good reason to not watch it. Where's the multiculturalism in Friends? How I Met Your Mother? Seinfeld? Apparently they're going to address it in season two.

I've made a few changes to the first episode and written a second one. Again, I'd really appreciate people taking the time to read it and let me know what they think!

Episode One
Episode Two

Last edited:
Apologies for this horrible bump. I'm about to start writing a third episode and I figured I'd ask again to see whether anyone can offer me up any constructive advice about plot/characters/tone..etc.

Would really appreciate anyone giving it a read, although I know that reading scripts isn't as glamorous as it sounds ;)

Episode One
Episode Two

No worries about bumpage, my friend. Reading scripts is just as glamorous as it sounds. Especially when I'm in the middle of my boring documentary 1 class... Starting my read now!

**EDIT**

I'm back!

Episode One:
This one felt very much the same as the last time I read it, but slightly fuller and less flighty in pacing. The scenes felt like they flowed much better this read around, and I'm sure some of that has to do with the fact that some editing has been done, but also, it's been some time since I read it last, and a fresh eye is nice. None of the qualms I had about the first draft are around anymore, and it feels like a fuller story now. The only question I have is how short the first draft is. I feel like it's barely fifteen minutes worth of script. The way episode two starts off, it just feels like I've come back after a commercial break, not a full week. So, that's less of a problem I have and more of a question about the intended length.

Episode Two:
The second episode reads fantastically. The pacing is very much on par with the first episode, which makes it feel very consistent. The plot is nice and easy to get into, and I like seeing some of the tensions between characters rising up. The character of Sophi is also intriguing, because I think I might see where you're attempting to go with her character. If she's intended to be a love interest, I would suggest that she is introduced in the first episode, not the second. I know she's in the first episode, but she has a paltry 3 lines, and only in one scene. I feel like she should have had more in the first episode, unless these two 'episodes' are parts of a whole, in which case, Sophi's 3 lines just establish the character well enough for us to be interested in her when she comes back during cricket.

That's basically it. I couldn't find anything else I might have had a problem with at all, aside from the usual grammatical and punctuation errors, which are unimportant at this point in the draft. I also wanted to say that I feel like your style and tone are coming through well, even to an american like myself. My previous inability to read between the cultural lines, as it were, seems to be diminishing. I think the concept is a fantastic one, and the way it's shaping up, I can say that I'd be very interested in watching this. Thank you for posting it! I'm always open to read more, should you post anything.

Last edited:
Oh wow, idenitycrisis27 (if that is your real name...) thanks so much for reading! I can't believe I missed this...

Yeah, my changes to Episode One were pretty undramatic- just a tweak here and there. In terms of length, I'm writing these with the intention of being 22 minute episodes that could, hypothetically, be bulked out to half hour episodes. Short'n'sweet.

Thanks for reading the second episode! Regarding the character of Sophi- each of the girls in that scene in the opening episode are going to get their 'time in the sun', so to speak. I think I might go back and revisit that scene and make it a little bit longer and more substantial. I was kind of using it to introduce the three female supports in one, easy to digest scene but I think you might be right that it seems abrupt that Sophi's character is substantially elevated in the second episode from the three lines in the first! I will address that with a rewrite :)

Thanks a lot for all your help, sir!

The plot line was a little boring at times, and a bit of a chore to follow. The dialogue was clever at times but dropped a little too much vulgarity that ruins the authenticity of it. And I sincerely hope you're not stereotyping gays as promiscuous, though I may be interpreting Fred's character wrong.

Last edited:
I haven't seen Girls. If it ever comes on PBS or Netlfix, I'll try to check it out.

Nice. I enjoyed it. I'm fond of witty banter, and you know how to deliver on that.

Firstly, you should get rid of all the whilsts in your writing.*

Page 1.

(19, topless and in only his underpants)

Topless and... is probably redundant when paired with in only his underpants.

(19, wearing only his underpants)

...would probably be more succinct.

Page 3.

NICK
You know, I’m not even sure it is.
I don’t consider libraries to be
sacred places or anything- I don’t
work in them because I’m afraid for
people to see me not working and
judge me for it- so it’s kind of
refreshing to see someone getting a
handjob there.

I'm probably being dumb, but I don't seem to understand what he means by the following in the above context:

...I don’t work in them because I’m afraid for people to see me not working and judge me for it...

And Nick's story about seeing somebody getting a hand job in the library is amusing and titilating, but are you just plopping us down in the middle of the telling of an unrelated experience Nick is relaying to Fred, or does it have something to do with Nick's existential crisis...that crisis being he was just dumped? Was the giver of that hand job Nick's ex, or something?

Things that make you go hmmmmm.

So, sort of along what IC27 was saying about developing the story, I'm left wondering whether the hand job is the cause of Nick's existential crisis somehow? That's further exacerbated by there being no explainations further in the following or later conversation(s). Maybe that's how it's supposed to be? But then again, if Nick was just dumped, or something, and he was banging his head on Fred's door at 1 AM last night because of it, perhaps we should get at least a clue, a passing mention of it...whatever it is?

Page 4 and 6.

It also took me a little bit to work out the conversation about Nick being or not being contraceptive, you rascal.

NICK
Yes, but what you’re referring to there aren’t the contraceptive properties of the condom but the fact that you don’t get, like, herpes or whatever wearing it.

I have a feeling that maybe if I heard and saw that being performed, I'd follow along just fine. But, if you want everyone to apprehend the point right away or more immediately, you might consider spelling it out more clearly for us. Like...

NICK
Yes, but if you say I'm you're contraceptive, what you're saying is that I prevent you from conceiving, which, you lacking a uterus and all, doesn't make a lot of sense.

NICK (CONT'D)
What you want to say is that Nick is our prophylactic...he stops the spread of herpes...or whatever, when he's around.

Anyway, if you wanted to make it more explicit like that, I know you could do it more artfully than I just did.

Page 4 and 5.

Nice. Nick's filthy sheets. Speaking of conflict. Maybe later, if Nick trys to bed Cinderella or Sophi, that could amusingly come up?

Page 9.

Pretty shuffles over and mops it up with a rag that he keeps on top of the fridge.

Who's Pretty?

Fun, great writing, as usual. Like it's already been said, shows great potential. I'll try to read Episode 2 and 3, as well.

* Just kidding**

** Not really though.

Last edited:
Back