First DSLR

Okay so I am going to get my first camera soon so I can practice with it. Learn. And so far I have seen everyone saying T3i is a good beginner camera. And I agree cause the picture is beautiful. But I am kind of confused. What is that difference between T3i, 60D, and 600D?

Hey Desperado!

T3i and 600d are the same camera, just like the T2i and 550d are the same. The Canon rebel series are called T2i/3i/4i etc. in the US and 550d/600d/650d, etc. in Europe. I think the T3i is also called the Kiss x5 in Japan maybe? Can't remember.

The Canon 60d however is a different camera, higher end. Here's a good rundown of the differences: http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-600d-vs-Canon_EOS_60D

Basically, the 60d is weather sealed and the 600d/T3i is not. If you are doing a lot of photography, the 60d is faster, more solidly built, and more suitable for a semi-professional shoot. It's somewhere between the T3i and 5d in terms of quality, speed, etc.

If you are doing mostly video, it seems you can get comparable results from either camera. I've seen a ton of short films shot on both cameras, and usually I wouldn't be able to tell you which was used. I will say that the 60d sometimes looks more filmic...but that could just be the cinematography, acting, directing, costumes, camera movement, etc.

Having said that, I've only ever shot with the T3i/600d and I freggin love the thing. For the extra few hundred dollars you'd spend toward the 60d, you could invest in a nice 50mm lens and get beautiful shots all day long, even in low light.

Hope it helps! :)
-Matt

Hey Desperado!

T3i and 600d are the same camera, just like the T2i and 550d are the same. The Canon rebel series are called T2i/3i/4i etc. in the US and 550d/600d/650d, etc. in Europe. I think the T3i is also called the Kiss x5 in Japan maybe? Can't remember.

The Canon 60d however is a different camera, higher end. Here's a good rundown of the differences: http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-600d-vs-Canon_EOS_60D

Basically, the 60d is weather sealed and the 600d/T3i is not. If you are doing a lot of photography, the 60d is faster, more solidly built, and more suitable for a semi-professional shoot. It's somewhere between the T3i and 5d in terms of quality, speed, etc.

If you are doing mostly video, it seems you can get comparable results from either camera. I've seen a ton of short films shot on both cameras, and usually I wouldn't be able to tell you which was used. I will say that the 60d sometimes looks more filmic...but that could just be the cinematography, acting, directing, costumes, camera movement, etc.

Having said that, I've only ever shot with the T3i/600d and I freggin love the thing. For the extra few hundred dollars you'd spend toward the 60d, you could invest in a nice 50mm lens and get beautiful shots all day long, even in low light.

Hope it helps! :)
-Matt

Thanks so much!

Back