• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

First documentary. Advice?

Hi everyone,

My background is mostly in screenwriting, but I'm making my first feature-length documentary right now. Needless to say I'm incredibly excited about this new adventure. Given my background, I do have a solid understanding of how to tell a story, narratively, but I have to admit I'm intimidated by the daunting editing process that lies in front of me. I'd really appreciate any and all advice you might have for a first-timer. I tend to be a perfectionist, but I'm trying to limit my expectations a bit, considering this is a low budget 1-man operation (with no previous experience). I do have access to reasonably good equipment and a recording studio, so in spite of myself I'm trying to make this doc as broadcast-quality as possible. But there's also a ton of third party content to sort through and incorporate, and again, the biggest problem is that I've just never done this before.

"Editing a documentary is akin to someone handing you a bag of sentences and asking you to write a book."

I saw that quote online ... and it's a really good quote. That sums up where my project is at right now. I have a subject. I have a compelling story. I wrote up a treatment and outline. I've collected tons and tons of previous footage, not all of which can be used of course. And I'm filming on my own, with a plan to record the V/O narration at a later date in studio. Everything is there (or getting there), but it's all kind of mixed up. Putting it into the right order can be challenging, I'm sure.

Anyway, it was recommended to me to use Premiere Pro, so that's what I've started with. Thoughts on this or another professional software choice? And what are some good resources for learning how to edit a documentary, both technically and stylistically? I'd be very interested to hear about everyone's own experiences as well. Thank you!

Thoughts on this or another professional software choice?

Forget software. It's mostly irrelevant. Picking up one of many that people list time and time again on forum threads will work for you.

And what are some good resources for learning how to edit a documentary, both technically and stylistically?

The best that I've come across is a course on editing called "Inside the Edit". Google it and you'll find it. It's primarily focused on teaching editors (directors, producers, cinematographers, writers) the art of editing through a documentary. Documentary making has its own process where a lot of it is about post production. Thinking ahead to the post process will help ensure you don't miss what you need during production. I think you'll find it the smartest place you can start.

Good luck.

I do have access to reasonably good equipment and a recording studio, so in spite of myself I'm trying to make this doc as broadcast-quality as possible.

Is this because you're actually aiming for your doc to be broadcast (on TV) or you would like to achieve broadcast quality just for your own pleasure/peace of mind?

G

The best that I've come across is a course on editing called "Inside the Edit". Google it and you'll find it. It's primarily focused on teaching editors (directors, producers, cinematographers, writers) the art of editing through a documentary. Documentary making has its own process where a lot of it is about post production. Thinking ahead to the post process will help ensure you don't miss what you need during production. I think you'll find it the smartest place you can start.

Good luck.

Thank you. I did look at ITE last night and their stuff looks great...have you used it before? I'm curious about the monthly subscription. At $4,500 I'm sure ITE is a non-starter for most people, but I'd be interested in the $50 / month option, as long as it provides full access to the lesson videos.

Is this because you're actually aiming for your doc to be broadcast (on TV) or you would like to achieve broadcast quality just for your own pleasure/peace of mind?

G

Just for my peace of mind. I accept that my doc will have some limitations, but I'd like to minimize them. This is a passion project of mine, and my goals are as follows:

1. Tell a compelling story that moves the audience. Get my vision out there for consumption and feedback.
2. Make the production and post-production quality as good as possible given the constraints, so that the movie is still enjoyable to watch and immerses the viewer in the story.
3. It would be unrealistic to expect the same technical quality as that which could be produced by a team of highly trained professionals, but I'd like to learn what I can and build on the experience.
4. Ideally, this would make for a good YouTube movie, free of charge. I don't have any commercial interests with regards to this project.

My biggest hope is that I can be proud of my work and consider it a story well told. Perhaps it would afford the opportunity to revisit this subject at a later date -- with a crew and bigger budget -- to produce a commercially viable remake.

Last edited:
Words of advice:

If you think a cut might be too long, it is.

If you're wondering if a cut is the right length, it's too long.

If it seems right, it probably can be cut just a bit more.

If you're wondering "God, did I make this cut too short? It's probably just right.

------

Splitting hairs over editing software is a waste of time (they all can do the job). What really matters is being able to keep the viewer glued to the entire length of your doc without clicking "x" or "eject".

Good luck.

I did look at ITE last night and their stuff looks great...have you used it before? I'm curious about the monthly subscription. At $4,500 I'm sure ITE is a non-starter for most people, but I'd be interested in the $50 / month option, as long as it provides full access to the lesson videos.

Yep, I did it. I have to admit I hate documentary editing, so the course, while the content is very good, it was a lot/hate relationship for me. I'd say it's one of the best editing courses I've seen. The only criticism I have is they haven't released the whole course yet and they're very slow at releasing more modules.

Back