Finding Filmmakers near you

Hey guys I'm currently a freshman in high school and have been interested in this for around 2 years and have recently really felt passionate for film making but I can not find anyone my age that likes it. So I was wondering how you suggest finding people who enjoy it that are my age.

Why do they have to be your age? When I was in high school I was always jamming with guys a lot older than I was; I was a freshman, they were juniors and seniors. (I guess that there just weren't enough keyboard players around). I definitely learned a lot from the older guys.

There must be a media club in your school; also, most probably, a drama club. Join both. That gives you access to "toys" (cameras, audio gear, etc.) and actors. There's probably a writers club as well. Even if they are not specifically film they are related crafts and will be quite helpful.

Also try MeetUp.com. I'm sure that one of your parents will have to attend with you, though.... Then there's the usual suspects - Mandy, Craigs List, etc. Work on every indie set you can in whatever capacity you can - extra, runner, gopher, PA, etc.

Hey I know what you mean. Go online and see if your town has a film festival. Try to get involved in that and make connections that way. Literally go on google and search for anything film related in your area whether it be camps, internships (unpaid), meetup groups, anything you can think of, even if it's just a group that just talks about movies.

Also, you should take the initiative and make a film of your own, maybe you'll attract others to you! Post an ad on craigslist for crew and actors etc. (but be careful) Ask your friends to be in it, but if they're the kind that think they're "wasting their time" and they don't support you then look for other people.

Just some suggestions.

Back