• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Finding a sound mixer

So I've been having trouble finding a sound mixer who will work on a micro-budget.

One new acquaintance told me he'd be willing to do sound and that he's recorded and fixed location sound before, but after some of my own snooping I haven't seen any finished work so he has zero credibility.

If I blindly bring on a brand new sound recordist (I suppose every mixer has to have a first project), are there any tips to guide him along, or make sure he's doing the right thing??? I don't know anything about sound myself.

Cheers :D

I've been having trouble finding a sound mixer who will work on a micro-budget.

Pro tip: If you pay their fee, most won't care about the rest of your budget.

One new acquaintance told me he'd be willing to do sound and that he's recorded and fixed location sound before, but after some of my own snooping I haven't seen any finished work so he has zero credibility.

You could always look for a full rate soundie. They'll have the credibility you need.

If I blindly bring on a brand new sound recordist (I suppose every mixer has to have a first project), are there any tips to guide him along, or make sure he's doing the right thing??? I don't know anything about sound myself.

If they're inexperienced, recognize that they're likely to make errors, they're unlikely to have the knowledge or experience to speak up when needed and the final outcome may be less than you desire.

It's ok, you're a professional. You've got a plan in place for ADR and sound design... right?

Back