• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Final Draft vs Movie Magic Screenwriter

Which one is more used in the industry ? I personally use Final Draft but I've heard many things about how Movie Magic Screenwriter is also used in the industry so I wasn't sure if it was better in some way or not ? I have Final Draft 8 and was thinking of upgrading it to the latest version but wasn't sure if I should invest in Movie Magic instead.

Which one is more used in the industry ? I personally use Final Draft but I've heard many things about how Movie Magic Screenwriter is also used in the industry so I wasn't sure if it was better in some way or not ? I have Final Draft 8 and was thinking of upgrading it to the latest version but wasn't sure if I should invest in Movie Magic instead.

Funny thing, I've heard that Movie Magic Screenwriter was the most often used in the industry. But when I looked up to see if there was a latest version, there isn't. As far as I can see, the darn thing hasn't changed at all since version 6 back in 2006 or something like that. So if you want to get a copy, you'll be buying a copy of the last version that was made, that is still extensively used, but never needed anything new or different done to it since the mid 00's.

But we've also sort of been using the 2010 version of Microsoft Word since that year. So it's kind of refreshing to know that some programs don't always need minor changes every few months to keep people buying it. When it's good, it's just good, and it does everything you need it to do.

Movie Magic Schedule and Budget are widely used, but Final Draft (for whatever reason) is still king for writing. I personally switched to Fade In and have zero regrets. $50, free updates, works on Windows Mac Linux iOS and Android, and can import/export just about any format you want, including Final Draft :)

Back