• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Final Cut/QuickTime proportion question

So, I'm working on what should be a quick project, and running into an odd problem.

I have a QT file with no audio that I need to add background music to. The QT file appears to be 4:3, but when I bring it into Final Cut, it comes up in the viewer letterboxed. Proportions seem to be correct in this letterboxed version, but my client doesn't want the lines at the top and bottom, they want the original, full screen appearance preserved.

Is this an import issue? Possibly something I can correct while exporting? Something simple in the settings? I've tried selecting an anamorphic NTSC timeline, but that doesn't seem to help.

If anyone has an answer or possible solution, I would be glad to try it out, 'cause this is frustrating. Thanks in advance!

gelder

There are several possibilities, but a picture of the screen will let me see the problem rather than assume what it is based on several encounters I've had with these types of aspect problems in Final Cut.

The only time I've ever even heard about pixel shape has been in the adobe world. It's simply not something that comes up in Final Cut Studio until you delve into Adobe's playground... which I don't do, so I haven't had to trouble shoot those problems.

If I've got this right, the screenshot going in, the second is the output from Final Cut.

l.png

l.png

and, CF, I was checking out the square pixel thing - haven't found the right combination to make it fly, yet.

Thanks for the suggestions and any forthcoming help!

gelder

Hey man,

Youre going to have to restart your project if the Anamorphic convertion hasnt worked for you. You may have selected 16:9 when creating the project or most likely have it on default in your preferences.

-Create New Project
-Preferences/General Tab/Select format=4:3

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Deus -

There were actually a few settings I needed to adjust, but starting with a new sequence was definitely a good start.

Got it worked out, I think - exporting what seem to be the properly-sized files now. Appreciate the assistance!

gelder

You can also check the settings of the clip itself by right clicking (ctrl-clicking) on the clip in the clips browser and looking at the format properties in the popup menu there. There should be an anamorphic checkbox that you can alter if necessary.

Back