• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Final Cut Pro

I've gotten pretty proficient in Adobe Premiere Pro (on PC) and i want to learn Final Cut Pro (and eventually freelance edit). any idea what step to take (after buying a mac and final cut)? do FCP editors generally need to be apple certified or is just proving one's ability to edit enough to 'work the field' (and what i mean is "the editing field")?

what do you think?

quiphexler said:
I've gotten pretty proficient in Adobe Premiere Pro (on PC) and i want to learn Final Cut Pro (and eventually freelance edit). any idea what step to take (after buying a mac and final cut)? do FCP editors generally need to be apple certified or is just proving one's ability to edit enough to 'work the field' (and what i mean is "the editing field")?

what do you think?
I've gotten work as an editor without being Apple Certified. And I've hired several editors without ever asking for certification. I'm not even sure what that means - I've never met an Apple Certified editor. All my work and all my hires have come through refferals.

I don't think that Apple certify individual editors, they certify training establishments.

I agree with directorik that I've always hired editiors off their reputation and their reel, I've never cared where they trained.

If you have Final Cut just learn it. It is pretty easy to understand, I taught myself after being trained in AVID. The systems are pretty similar. I tell people: they are all like cars-
but there is a difference between a honda and a benz. You just have to figure out all the bells and whistles.

....is that what you meant?
--spinner

quiphexler said:

I used to be a PC advocate and used Premiere religiously until I got sick of the constant computer crashes and lost projects. I moved to a Dual 2Ghz G5 with FCP 4 and have never looked back. If you are familiar with NLE systems FCP is very easy to learn.

As for certification, I wouldn't bother. I've never been asked if I was certified and never been asked to show certification.

Back