Final Cut Pro HISS

My DP was telling me about clipping a piece of audio from a take that had hiss (basically taking a piece of hiss), he exported that hiss into a program that comes with Final Cut and allowed that program to remove that certain frequency. So, basically the piece was now silent. He then took that and imported it back into Final Cut and was able to use the effect to remove just that sound from the dialogue. Has anyone ever heard of this? If so, do you know how to do it?

Thanks.

NEVERMIND IT'S SOUNDTRACK PRO. IT'S OKAY.

Last edited:
It's "noise removal" and is in Soundtrack Pro in the FCS Package.

You select a piece of the audio track that contains nothing but the regular sound that you want to remove, then "noise reduction > set noise print"... after that, it's the "noise reduction > remove noise"

Be gentle with the settings and make sure to listen to what's being removed (there's a check box) so you don't lose too much of the other stuff. Dig too deep and it'll start to sound bubbly like you're under water.

Thanks. I tried it last night, and it's all weird. The problem came from a LOUD radiator. It was off most of the day, then we're getting set to do a long telephone conversation and it's just loud as hell. I can get rid of most of it. But, it's still weird. Most of the sound on this movie is excellent. So, this is probably going to be an ADR moments. Which will be a bitch if the actress is back in Mexico.

Another option is to use the Frequency Analysis graph to look at where the radiator lives in the sound scape and preprocess with a notch filter (or in Soundtrack by box selecting just that sound in the graph and hitting delete) just that set of frequencies before doing the noise removal.

The audio screencasts I have on my youtube have more information on this process (specifically episode 3 deals with removing unwanted noises at a consistent frequency).

Thanks. I'm going to have to check that out.

I'm so stupid, I'm listening to this audio (which is pretty bad) and completely forgot it's the audio off the camera. The real audio isn't as bad, but it definitely needs some work. Sometimes, I just wonder...

Back