Final Cut Pro Coloring?

In Final Cut Pro, when you put in a video into the timeline, you have to render it first.

Then, how do you change the coloring in it?

I hate the way my camera colors things and I can't change it from the camera.

Like in photoshop, are there like "levels" and "curves" in final cut pro?

Thanks!

Actually, if you change the settings in the timeline to match those of the source footage you won't have to initially render.

For basic color correction, open your effects tab and select "color corrector 3-way" from the video filters menu. Drag it to each clip you want to apply it to, or else copy/paste it to all of the clips.

A tab will appear in your preview window that allows you to drag the corrector window to another part of the screen so you can see the tools and the video at the same time. After making your corrections, you likely will have to render the timeline.

If you're using FC Studio, you can do far more intricate corrections using Apple Color.

Actually, if you change the settings in the timeline to match those of the source footage you won't have to initially render.

For basic color correction, open your effects tab and select "color corrector 3-way" from the video filters menu. Drag it to each clip you want to apply it to, or else copy/paste it to all of the clips.

A tab will appear in your preview window that allows you to drag the corrector window to another part of the screen so you can see the tools and the video at the same time. After making your corrections, you likely will have to render the timeline.

If you're using FC Studio, you can do far more intricate corrections using Apple Color.

i didn't know you could match the settings in the timeline to match the source footage so i wouldn't have to deal with long renders. Thanks! But I don't know what my source footage is.... format wise... HD video from a sony camera.. how do i find out from that?

Can you also do the vignette effect in Final Cut Pro?

Check what your settings are for importing the footage. There are any number of different choices. Then change your timeline settings to match.

When I create a new project timeline and drag footage to it, FCP asks me if I want it to automatically change the timeline settings to match. Does yours not do that?

You can do the vignette effect in FCP, but it's much simpler in Color.

If FCP doesn't have a vignette plugin (which I believe it does), you can just use the oval shape generator (in the right bottom corner of the viewer window - little pulldown menu there for titles and whatnot), add it atop the footage on the next track, then play with the settings to get the desired effect. Huge blur, a composite mode of overlay or screen should get you a nice effect, then adjust the opacity slider to taste.

Back