• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Final Cut Pro Audio question

Hello filmmakers,

Im just writing in regards to a little final cut pro problem. I was shooting a music video of mine and I left a beat going in the background, so my actors could perform to the beat (didnt have any headphones then). I lowered the beat to the minimum, barely enough so my actors could hear. However, now in my editing process, Im noticing that beat and Im trying to get rid of it. Any ideas on how to do that? Like some audio filters or something?

Thanks in advance!

Why do you need that audio at all? Can't you just drop in a track of the sound, align the beat with the scratch audio, and then drop the scratch audio to zero?

Hello filmmakers,

Im just writing in regards to a little final cut pro problem. I was shooting a music video of mine and I left a beat going in the background, so my actors could perform to the beat (didnt have any headphones then). I lowered the beat to the minimum, barely enough so my actors could hear. However, now in my editing process, Im noticing that beat and Im trying to get rid of it. Any ideas on how to do that? Like some audio filters or something?

Thanks in advance!

You dont understand. The only have one main track and that beat can be heard from that main track, which is a bummer. I have to get rid of it in some way. Are there any sort of filters for that situation? However, this time in other audio programmes like audacity etc.?

Why do you need that audio at all? Can't you just drop in a track of the sound, align the beat with the scratch audio, and then drop the scratch audio to zero?

Thats the question. HOW do I drop the scratch audio to zero? But be careful. That beat is basically on the same main (one) track where they actually deliver the text.

What I hear you asking is ... on a single dialog track, how do I remove background noise... answers to that question:
1) cover it up with the same beat only clearer and more controlled by you. You can then dip the music when the dialog happens to let that through. This keeps both the dialog and the beat.

2) delete the audio track where there is no dialog making silence, then fill in that silence with room tone (you did record room tone correct?). The places where there is overlapped beat and dialog, use the silence parts to note the frequencies at which the beat is occuring, then use a notch filter to cut those frequencies out hoping they are not the same frequencies as the voices you've recorded, or you'll cut those out as well.

3) Use a noise reduction filter that samples the "quiet" places and subtracts them from the dominant audio... it'll sound wonky, especially if the frequencies overlap the dialog... be gentle.

4) ADR the dialog because you recorded unusable dialog tracks.

A lot depends upon the frequencies present in the track. If it is only the low end you can try using a hi-pass filter, if it is mid-frequencies you can try a notch filter. You need to be very careful as you will also be affecting the same frequencies in the dialog itself; you can reduce it a little, but not eliminate it. That, combined with making sure that the music is in sync with the "beat" in the dialog track (as Knightly suggested) should be enough to cover it up.

Back