filmschool software

I actually have that. :cool:

It's not worth anywhere near the $500 they're trying to flog it off for, on that site. I think my folks paid about $90 for it (Xmas present from a few years back. They still humour me.)

The film "Time & Again" is pretty good. It's only an hour long, if I recall, but it's inspirational to see what you can do on a budget of $4k. Looks really good. (Weak last-minute ending, though)

All the rest of the crap on the other discs was unremarkable or useless. Especially the uneditable templates. There might be something useful on those discs, but I must have missed it.

Save your money.

is worth it to purchase these packages? Do they help? Do any virtual film schools help?

You'll learn more about lighting (or whatever) by doing it for two days on a set for free, than all the theory/study you can read in a year.

Last edited:
I'm glad I asked. I decided yesterday that I'm going to setup my camera and tripod in my living room. Then once I order my light kit I will set it up here as well. I figure it would be a good place to practice.

So I guess I should pass on the instructional DVD's?

I'm glad I asked. I decided yesterday that I'm going to setup my camera and tripod in my living room. Then once I order my light kit I will set it up here as well. I figure it would be a good place to practice.

So I guess I should pass on the instructional DVD's?

Hi Dutch what part of florida ur at?

i wanted to ask about that DVENLIGHTMENT DVD ON LIGHTING @ http://www.dvcreators.net/dv-enlightenment/

what do u guys think about that one its like $75

After going through a few semesters a film school I've come to a few conclusions I think can help you. It has been addressed slightly before, but personally, EXPERIENCE is everything when it comes to film making.

After taking a few classes in Visual Structure, Story Theory, and Production (the overall aspects of filming) Experience overrides nearly every book you will read. This is not to say they are useless, rather reading is one thing, and applying is another. Take advantage of all you can of local filmmakers, I guarantee on Craigslist their will be at least a few locals who will need help, even if its for a wedding.

When being in a professional atmosphere, which can include student shorts to actual full feature sets, it feels as if everything is on the line, whether it be a class grade or an investors money, you will pick up many skills. More importantly confidence when it matters.

Loads of things will go wrong, especially when least expected. For an example I must rant of a film I did for class. I had 6 actors cut out on me, 1 at midnight before a shoot, and another 30 min. beforehand. Then our location that we shot at only had two prong outlets, and our light kit used three. Needless to say I place a much higher emphasis on pre-production.

Learn the basics - Look at any textbook film schools use (or the highest rated ones on Amazon)

Practice them - Start filming with the intention of making a very polished professional product.

Have confidence in what you are doing - Once you believe in your ability when it comes to film, your final product will increasingly become the cream of the crop. This however does not mean everything you say and do will be right, always be open. Collaboration is one of your greatest assets to make a finished product a success.

So from all that: Yes buy a book, rather than that software. Get a cheap one that's nicely reviewed on amazon, then apply it through actually filming.

Last edited:
Back