Filming with a Treatment but no Script?

I have an idea for an independent film, and have written a "Presentation Treatment." The treatment includes some of the dialog and gives a general idea on the direction the film should go. I find myself lacking the attention span to sit down and write a whole script for a feature length film. Since I'll be directing and know what I want, I have been thinking of just shooting with the Treatment, and coming up with dialog on the fly and having characters improv some of their lines.

Does anyone see a problem with going this route? Has anyone done it before, and had success or failure? Does anyone have any recommendations on how to achieve this?

The part that would worry me in this is not the idea of shooting with only a treatment but the idea that you're not writing the script simply because you don't have the patience. I think that indicates a problem that will cause you more difficulties during the process than the lack of a script.

I think I've decided to write something between a treatment and a full script. It will have the general idea of each scene, with some dialogue. This will cut my work load, but will insure a better produced film.

Back