Filming interviews? Help!!!

Hi,

I'm an absolute newbie to filmmaking and looking to film a number of interviews indoors, hopefully with minimal background noise in a quiet setting, sat opposite each other at a table (coffee shop / bar etc.)

I have purchased a Kodak Zi8 pocket camera and I'm looking to get the absolute most out of it, and therefore have a few questions I'm in desperate need of answering; :)

1. What's the best option for sound? There is an external mic output and I'm thinking that two radio lapel mics (one for me, the other for the interviewee) would be the best option but I'm not sure if a two socket adapter would affect the sound quality?

2. Are there any other options for external mics?

3. What is the best option for keeping the camera still and steady but maneuverable, a mount or a tripod?

4. Any lighting tips / equipment advice?

Any and all answers will be highly appreciated...

Dan :)

First of all, FORGET interviewing at a coffee shop of a bar. Those are NOT quiet locations.

You really need someplace secluded, where you can control all sources of sound. For example, you might think somebody's living room is perfect, but did you research how the temperature is controlled? You're wise enough to unplug the refrigerator, but maybe you didn't realize that this particular apartment complex is one of those places where the entire building has one single heater unit, you have no option to turn it off, and it keeps cycling on and off.

I think a lapel is a good idea, and you don't need radio, wired is just fine. A cheap shotgun will also do the trick. Good mics are very expensive, but based on your camera choice I'm assuming you don't have much to spend. In my opinion, a workable tiny-budget brand for mics is Audio-Technica, and they're all over ebay.

I also don't think you need two mics. If you frame your questions properly, there's no need for the audience to hear the interviewer. We usually only care about the interviewee. There are exceptions to this, but if you've only got one camera, and it's pointed at the interviewee, we don't really care who is off-screen and/or what they're saying.

For lighting, you're probably best off spending some time googling "3-point lighting". I don't know anything about that camera you're using, but my intuition tells me you're going to need lots of light. On a tiny budget, construction lights can saturate the shit out of pretty much any space.

I think you'll definitely want your camera on a tripod. Does that camera have a tripod mount? If so, that's the way you go.

Good luck! :)

I've had decent 'amateur' results using a lav mic hooked to a cheap digital recorder. I also run adobe audition on the file to get rid of noise hiss, hum etc.. Check youtube for tutorials on that part. Even in a totally quiet room, you will pick up stuff like lights buzzing, or traffic outside, so shoot for as quiet as possible for your location, you won't regret it.

Do you have money for rentals? Or budget to purchase equipment? Or better friends who have equipment?

I am not sure what do you mean by mount,but tripod is the thing you need for interview.
Lighting is a very broad topic to have a simple answer. What is budget,location,look you want?

1. What's the best option for sound? There is an external mic output and I'm thinking that two radio lapel mics (one for me, the other for the interviewee) would be the best option but I'm not sure if a two socket adapter would affect the sound quality?

2. Are there any other options for external mics?

What's your budget?

Back