Filming Cooking

My current project deals with a lot of filming of cooking in restaurant kitchens.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Are there any technical problems I should look out for dealing with heat or steam?

Any advice would be great.

Mike

I'm a long-time restaurant worker, and I've never been in a kitchen that would be unsafe for a camera. I mean, people have to work there.

As I general rule, I'd say that if you wouldn't put your face there, don't put your camera there. In other words, just keep your camera a minimum of a foot or two away from all stoves, ovens and fryers (especially be careful of splattering grease).

I don't think you have much too worry about. I'd be more afraid of the kitchen staff, than anything else. Back-of-house employees are notoriously a bunch of hooligans! ;)

I'm a long-time restaurant worker, and I've never been in a kitchen that would be unsafe for a camera. I mean, people have to work there.

As I general rule, I'd say that if you wouldn't put your face there, don't put your camera there. In other words, just keep your camera a minimum of a foot or two away from all stoves, ovens and fryers (especially be careful of splattering grease).

I don't think you have much too worry about. I'd be more afraid of the kitchen staff, than anything else. Back-of-house employees are notoriously a bunch of hooligans! ;)

Thanks for the advice!

The film is focusing on a cooking competition so it will be all actors.

I was just unsure if steam / a lot of heat would effect the quality of the image or hurt the equipment.

That makes a lot of sense.

Thanks.

Here's a big trick - use a mirror to get overhead shots. Make sure it's secure with a gobo head or on some other stand, but it helps to get interesting shots of the bowls and pans while cooking.

Smoke tends to be half as visible on video/film than it is to our eyes.

Back