• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Filming a mirror scene

Hell all, well I'm in a bit of a pickle. How would one film a mirror scene? I have the character looking at himself, doesn't like what he sees in himself then bends down, cut, then gets back up and he looks so much better, cleaner, hair done, etc. I know that sounds dumb but it's a lot better if it's filmed, I believe. haha. Anyway, that's my question. How would you film a mirror scene without getting the camera....or is it some sort of editing trick afterwards?

You could just use angles. If you are off to the side a bit you can still get the actor and their reflection without ever seeing the camera. If you need an angle where the camera must be in the shot, you could place a green screen over the mirror, then do a separate recording of the reflection and add it in post.

To shoot the scene with angles, you have to have your character not actually standing in front of the mirror. He'll need to stand off to one side just a bit, at an angle, and your camera will also be off at an angle, so that you can see his reflection in the mirror. If he then looks at the reflection of the camera in the mirror, it will look like he's looking right at his reflection. There's actual geometry involved, but basically you have to set up a triangle between the mirror, the guy, and the camera, with both the camera and the guy looking at the same point.

Mairo Bava was a master at these kind of effects...here is some info that might help

I dont speak the language but i know the tequnique...It has to do with the lights and type of makeup you are using to get these live effects the change without cutting away from the shot.

http://youtu.be/DFVJdiH-XlE

ill post more if i see more

BTW Bava was a genius!!!

This is way less complicated than we're making it out to be. Just get on set, start moving things around, and you'll be fine.

Cameron, I'm not convinced of that bit about having the actor look at the reflection of the camera - that would break the 4th wall. I've shot footage with mirrors, and if you want it to look like the actor is looking at themselves, then they should look at themselves. Nothing tricky.

So, V3NOM, you're in Los Banos? Hehe. You've got some crazy filmmakers coming your way.

Mairo Bava was a master at these kind of effects...here is some info that might help

I dont speak the language but i know the tequnique...It has to do with the lights and type of makeup you are using to get these live effects the change without cutting away from the shot.

BTW Bava was a genius!!!

wow that was cool..

In B&W it would be much easier... but I bet similar techniques would work in color with the right florescent colors..

Cameron, I'm not convinced of that bit about having the actor look at the reflection of the camera - that would break the 4th wall. I've shot footage with mirrors, and if you want it to look like the actor is looking at themselves, then they should look at themselves. Nothing tricky.

The way I'm talking about doing it, the actor stands offset from the mirror (at an angle), so they wouldn't actually be able to see themselves in the mirror (at least not fully, because they're not standing directly in front of it). You're not looking at the camera directly, you're looking at the reflection of the camera, which makes it appear that you're looking at your own reflection (because the camera is pointed directly at your reflection, not at you). I can't find the thing where I read this now...but it's basic geometry.

BTW Bava was a genius!!!

That was some intense stuff, this man is a genius! Thank you everybody for the tips, I'm gonna experiment with it a couple ways and see which one turns out the best. Thanks again!

OK, my tests were inconclusive...

It looks like looking at the reflection of the camera directly is looking, well RIGHT AT THE CAMERA, but somehow its not the same as when I look directly at it.

For best effect you will have to have something visible in the mirror from the actors POV for your actors to focus on that results in the correct eye line.

Think back to when you were a little kid, riding in the back seat, with mom or dad driving. For whatever reason, the occasion arises that your parent wants to make eye-contact with you, but they don't want to turn around because they're driving. In this situation, they would reposition the mirror, to make eye-contact through the mirror. You both look at the reflection of the other's eyes, and that has the effect of looking directly at them.

Now, think of the camera as a stand-in for your head, and the lens is the eye. It works the same way. If you look at the reflection of the lens, it is the same as looking directly into the camera, and you break the 4th wall. It doesn't matter where you stand, this will always be true.

This is me, looking directly at the camera:

20111008032450.jpg

As you can see, I am a very serious filmmaker. I even buttoned-up my shirt, for the pub.

But this photo's got a secret...

...I'm actually looking at the reflection of my camera(phone), as reflected in my bathroom mirror. This is a mirror-shot.

Last edited:
Back