• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

action Filming a hanging scene

I did see that a post on this already exists, but it didn't answer my particular dilemma. For my short film, I have a scene where the character attempts to hang herself but the sheet she uses is stretchy enough that her feet land on the ground and she can still breathe, but can't get the noose from around her neck, causing her to have to call for her mom. I am hoping for this scene to have one wide shot of this happening to increase the comedy of it, but I don't know how to do this safely so that it looks realistic, but my actress is never in danger. Any thoughts?

The humor can be in being caught in the middle of the attempt by the mom, but the mom is oblivious. She's on her desk chair, sheet around neck, she's looking at the ceiling where she would tie it off. Mom enters holding full laundry basket. "Oh perfect timing, I'm doing laundry." The mom holds her he had out. "Gimme!" The girl unties it from her neck, still on chair. "Mom, don't you think this is a little strange?" Mom: "I always do whites on Sunday!" She hands her the sheet and is upset the mom does not even notice anything odd.

The humor can be in being caught in the middle of the attempt by the mom, but the mom is oblivious. She's on her desk chair, sheet around neck, she's looking at the ceiling where she would tie it off. Mom enters holding full laundry basket. "Oh perfect timing, I'm doing laundry." The mom holds her he had out. "Gimme!" The girl unties it from her neck, still on chair. "Mom, don't you think this is a little strange?" Mom: "I always do whites on Sunday!" She hands her the sheet and is upset the mom does not even notice anything odd.

That would be funny in a very sit-com sort of way I like it

Rather than have the sheet stretch, why not have whatever it is attached to, bend instead? A tree branch seems the most obvious way to do it. You'd have the comedic effect of the branch flexing such that they are touching the floor but the rope is still taught enough that she's unable to release the noose from around her neck. Depending on how you film it you may still need to use a harness too though as @mlesemann suggested.

Last edited:
Back