Film studies?

Recently I have been considering going to a school for film studies instead of going to an actual film school. I live in Ohio and would like to stay in the state. I've done a little research and it seems that Ohio State University and Bowling Green State University are the only schools in Ohio that offer an undergraduate Film Studies program. Ohio University is a great school for film, but for film studies they only offer an MA.

I think that the OSU Film studies program is reletively new, the BGSU program has been active for 25 years, but I would rather spend my time in Columbus than Bowling Green. Also i would have to go somewhere else and transfer into OSU but I think I could be accepted to BGSI

Does anyone know anything about these programs or of any others in Ohio?

I'm still doing research but I thought I would ask around for some tips or advice.

THANKS!

Ohio State University's film program, as far as everyone I know who is there, isn't much and you can't get a degree in it. They have resources, but they are in 5 different departments.

Ohio University has a film school, and also for undergrads has an amazing multimedia program. That's probably the best one in the state. Wright State University in Dayton's film program has gotten rave reviews in the last 15 years.

Akron University just invested a ton of money into a media program for undergrads. Cleveland State University has started a decent film/multimedia program too. Columbus State's editing classes are pretty good from what I hear.

so osu film studies is no good? It seemed pretty legit from what i read on the site (but of course they want it to sound amazing.)

This multimedia program at OU, is that what they call "Media Arts and Studies?" I was just looking at that, but is that really based in film or is it based in every visual media form? I've heard a little bit about CSU's film program, and I know someone who goes there but I havent' talk to him much about it. I probably should.

Originally I planned on taking Columbus States Digital Video and Sound Design associate degree, then transfer to OSU for film studies. My friend who goes to OU is trying to talk me into taking the video production course there and minoring in film. I guess if i went that route it would be easy to get into their MA film studies program.

What I liked about my original plan was, I could go to Columbus State and learn all these basic technical skills in sound recording, video recording and editing, and learn a bunch of other softwares, maybe find a job with that degree, then work through the Film Studies program at OSU. I was pretty set on that because, frankly, I'm in love with the city of Columbus.

It would be cool to do the MA film studies at OU, but i'm not sure what this video production major would be like. there isn't a lot of information about it on the website. It seems more like computer designing and shit but idk. I guess these are questions I should take to the school. The other problem with that is I was in college for a short time before and didn't do so hot. Idk if I would be able to transfer with those credits, or if I will have to start at a community college, which also fit nicely into my CSCC/OSU plan.

I'm surprised to hear you say you can't get a degree in OSU's film studies.... i thought that's the point of the program.

well that's what i'm looking for. I'm more interested in theory, history, criticism, analyzing than production. So i mean if it's a good program in those respects then its just what i'm looking for. I was going to do that first them move onto a filmmaking MA in either OU or hopefully London Film School. Or maybe just keep going with the film studies idk.

And what were you saying about not being able to get a BA in Film Studies at OSU? that's not making sense to me.

I took one class of Film Studies in my college and it was amazing. Helped me a lot as a filmmaker. I think the main question is that do you want to be a filmmaker or a professor who teaches film studies? If you want to be a filmmaker, then I think one or two classes with your other courses would be more than enough.

Last edited:
I thought that I wanted to be a filmmaker, but after reading through various books, I find the theory and criticism stuff to be more interested that Film Directing Fundamentals or Art of Dramatic Writing. I'll still be working on some filmmaking type stuff but academically, I want to focus on Film Studies. I can always move onto an MA Filmmaking program if I feel that is what I want to do. And Film studies is certainly a good prep for that.

I just graduated from SCSU (MN) Film Studies program... it's a traditional Film Studies program with a heavy production focus if you choose to follow it that way. You can also go in a straight up studies and critique type of way. The focus is strongly on worldwide cinema as well, so tons of exposure.

The feedback the graduates have gotten is that they are much more versed in cinema and can hold real conversations rather than just being "artists" with no connection to the wider cinematic universe. The various employers have been really impressed with the students.

http://www.stcloudstate.edu/theatrefilmdance/film/default.asp

Have you considered not going to film school?

I didn't - and I work full time at a studio now.

I have. I've been out of school for a while and have struggled with the decision of whether or not to go back to school. I really admire people who can teach themselves and meet their goals. For me however, I realized that I need some structure and direction academically. So here I am. Shopping around for schools. I think that whether or not I decide to make films in the future, a strong knowledge of film theory would benefit me. My favorite filmmakers learned academically- Godard and Haneke. I also love the work by Harmony Korine, but I don't think I'm the type of person who could pull of what he does. He's strictly an artist who can work from intuition to break barriers and create something new. I'd like to learn about the history of film and analytically break it down to create more of a response, not a 'fuck you'.

But back to the topic, I think I'm going to stick with my original plan of OSU. As far as I know it is a relatively new program, and like Sonny said, its a conglomerate of other departments. This is just a guess, but I would think any program at a school like Ohio State would be pretty decent, new or established. That wouldn't be the end of my education anyway. I would probably move on to the Film Studies MA program at OU or filmmaking at either OU or LFS. It would be cool to be a filmmaker, but I would be happy as a prof, critic, or theorist. It's never too late to make a movie. And I don't think you are ever to old to learn the technical aspects of it. It's the maturity, intellect, and life experience that make a good film, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I graduated from Ohio State's film studies program 4 days ago. I can hook you up on any info you need. The major itself is about 5 years old so it is still pretty new and 99% of the classes are based around film history and film analysis however this can come in handy. You can focus on film production though. If you want to get into editing Janet Parrott's theater 633 class is awesome and she is an amazing teacher. The next couple years though are going to get a little crazy as the film production teacher's are trying to make a big push for more production style classes.

Back