Film School, Yes or No?

I am a junior in High school right now and I am looking at film schools. I have been to NYU and Temple and they seem to have nice environments only im not sure i want to go to film school. I would much rather do it on my own and save the money like Robert Rodriguez did with El Mariachi. Film is my life and i already have a good understanding of it. Is it worth the $40,000 a year to attend NYU? Also, if I decide to go to film school is there anyway i can get a scholorship based on the quality of my films? Thanks alot everyone.

I posted my previous message from home on my lunch break, then on the drive back to work, I started asking myself a lot of questions.

Would I let my future chiildren skip college or drop out in order to pursue a self education in film?

Would I make the same decision I made about film school now?

And others.

The thing is neither film school nor self education is an absolute correct answer. It depends on the person. Rodriguez and Kevin Smith had what it takes, plus they got lucky. I believe I have what it takes and I am hoping for some luck.

At the same time, I would suggest that any young person seriously consider film school for two reasons: 1) The Contacts are important, and although you can make good contacts without having a degree, it is a step up when you go to school day after day with the same contacts for four or five years. 2) When going into a potential investor's house, although you can show them a few short films and really "wow" them with your pitch, it's easier to convince them you can make a film if you have that degree to show them.

Poke

Self-education is great, but you need both kinds of education.

Couldn't agree more.

Got to say though, Poke you are a great role model for self education, you are smart, open minded and resourceful. I have no doubts that you will get the breaks and make it.

I have a Bachelor's Degree in "Motion Picture Technology" for the University of Central Florida's film school, but I’m telling you that little piece of paper means nothing. Film school isn’t about the diploma.

Today I do freelance work as a photographer and filmmaker. Most of my freelance film work was done when I lived in Orlando, FL. I worked as an Avid Editor, a PA, a film loader, etc. Basically I did whatever work I could find. Still it wasn't enough to get by on alone, so I started working as a photographer's assistant and was able to make ends meet.

Today I live in North Carolina because my family moved here and I couldn't stand to be away from them for more than a year (I’m really lucky, I have a great family.) I work on cruise ships as a Broadcast Assistant. For that work, it doesn't really matter where I am based because they fly me to my port and back home again.

I don't know how much longer I will continue to work on ships. It's nice for me now because I like to travel and I am completely unattached to anyone besides my family. I have access to broadcast quality equipment on ships and I make silly short movies while I'm on board, but eventually I will get serious and shoot a feature. I'm working on a couple of scripts one of which I especially like.

I didn't get the ship job because of my film degree. I got it because I had a year's experience working as studio crew at a news station. I also got it because I had a good demo reel that showed I knew how to shoot. That good demo reel came as a result of productions I was able to pull off because of film school.

If you want to learn outside of school, I would suggest working on some shoots before you do your own. Being a PA is a good way to see how all the departments work and ask questions. I have know successful people who never went to film school, they just started working on shoots and gradually moved their way up. The only problem with trying to work your way up like that is you might get to be known as "Bill the gaffer," "Jane the AC," or "Joe the location scout." It's easy to get pigeon holed into the job you end up finding.

I always knew I would go to film school. I always knew I would be a director. I think it's like a friend of mine said, "directors are born directors, they don't get made. All film school can do is make them better."

ktdamien said - If you want to learn outside of school, I would suggest working on some shoots before you do your own. Being a PA is a good way to see how all the departments work and ask questions. I have know successful people who never went to film school, they just started working on shoots and gradually moved their way up. The only problem with trying to work your way up like that is you might get to be known as "Bill the gaffer," "Jane the AC," or "Joe the location scout." It's easy to get pigeon holed into the job you end up finding.

I completely agree with this. I started out as a Unit Photographer on professional shoots and learnt massive amounts about how a shoot is run. I think the trick is to then apply those disciplines to every shoot you do.

One of the negatives I've found with some film schools (I've taught in them, but never attended one myself) is that the productions tend to try to run themselves by committee, with endless discussions on set about how everything is going to be done. I was quite shocked the first time I saw this, because I'd only ever worked on crews where everyone concentrated on their own area of responsibility. It was just unbelievable to me that the person acting as art director would be shouting down the director about her shot choices or that the sound guy would be giving performance instructions to the actors. It took me ages to work out that they'd never seen how a shoot functions and that the problem arose because everyone on the set wanted to be the director and saw no value in the role they were doing themselves. I think if someone does go to film school it's really very, very important that they get out and work on as many professional shoots as possible. Crews are always looking for reliable runners (I presume that's the same as a PA in the states)

Yeah, I wish he hadn't said that. I know that he's dedicated, hard working and talented, but he's also been incredibly lucky to get the breaks that he got. El Mariachi was a mess technically and with a little more production knowledge he could have made a better film (technically), rather than constantly having to dig himself out of one post production disaster after another. His problems with film school were about the fixed attitudes and their concepts about the industry. I can see his point, but it doesn't change my honestly held belief that film school would be a good experience for anyone who went in with an open mind and a willingness to be exposed to new ideas.

I know that I've considered doing a post graduate degree at Bournemouth which is one of the best film schools in the UK, simply because I think it would be good to broaden my own horizons and because I think you're never to old to learn. I'm very pro-education, I think it's the foundation of civilisation.

Why do you consider Bournemouth to be one of the best schools in the UK? On what basis? I am considering attending a school in the UK myself, and would appreciate any feedback. Is it the course you are thinking about the MA in Directing Digital Film and Television?

Last edited:
A big hero of mine has always been warner herzog. He was asked to speak at a film school to a group of graduating students. He got up and said "most of you do not have the BALLS to make movies". I respect herzog becuase he didn't get just get lucky he struggled and worked hard. He worked night shift at a factory and saved money so he could shoot his first short. Try reading HERZOG ON HERZOG. Its a great book. people on this forum always talk about Rodriguez but not Herzog. I'm not sure why. And watch his movies, aguire wraith of god is super awsome shot on 35mm in south america for $300,000.

If your in the states look into cable access. cable access allows anyone to use there equipment and produce programming for very little (you usually have to take a class) . It can give you great experience and help you meet other like minded people. Thats what i did and now I am doing a medical study to fund the editing of my first feature lenth movie.

in my experience here is what you need to make a film.
A vision Something that doesn't exist that you want to create and
Friends,allies, etc You need people who love you who belive in you that want to help you. if you have these two things everything else will come together if you work hard enough. That doesn't mean it will be easy just possible.

Film is magic you are creating reality you can't teach that in school. You can teach people how to use cameras you can show them movies and discuss them but you can only learn by doing. You can meet people in film school, but you can meet people at the bar, at CL, on myspace, etc. If you have a good vision people will want to help you, they will donate, time, camera's, movie lights etc. Just remeber to feed them or they get grumpy.

how to you get vision? trying living, make your art your life and your life will never stop being intresting if you do. herzog walked alot he walked from berlin to france to visit his friend that was sick in the hospital. Try hitchhiking and talking to strangers this has always worked for me and you have to be willing to do anything to fund your projects right now i'm doing a medical study.

Back