Film School - What should I do?

Hello everyone.

I know there are A LOT of threads about film school and I know you guys probably hate them already but.. My time has come .

I have 1 year till university . I'm from a small country .

I love making all kinds of films , but I'm from a small country in even smaller town so I can't grow .

There is a film school in my capital , it is not very expensive but as far as I know it is not very good . I wanna go only to meet other filmmakers but I'm not sure this will happen .

I always wanted to try go to London or Los Angeles . I always said to myself '' From next year I'll start study a lot , I'll get a scolorship , I'll go to a college and do the whole filmmaking stuff in USA '' .

But I don't do it anymore . I don't study . Don't get me wrong , I'm not lazy but at that point it's almost impossible . When I get alone with my thoughts just to think about the subjects I got I start thinking about filmmaking , about the shorts I'm gonna make and maybe awards I might take , actors I might work with , thread I might open in Indietalk :D . And I'm not even joking.

I'm realistic - my country is very poor ,I probably can't afford 20 000 dollars for a film school but I don't really want to go to any other university since everything I think about and want to do is related to filmmaking.

I was thinking in participating in any sort of festivals and competition that give awards and money , maybe work on some freelance projects so I can move to the United States or London and try .

Or maybe I should graduate the 'bad' film school in my country and then try to move so my chances might be bigger .

I really don't know what to do and I can't imagine to do anything else but films.

-_-

I feel I have a similar problem (and did quite a bit last year as I was in my final year of high school). The difference here is that our country isn't quite as small, its not hugely successful in film but does a decent job. This year I am taking a gap year (a year to earn money....and ponder the posts I shall add to indietalk!)

The other difference is that we do have film schools of a reputable level. I've got into a course for next year which from what I can see is the second best without traveling 600km or whatever the distance is... I couldn't get into the best (IMO) but I shall try again there and if not take up my already secured decent course.

It depends on what to want to do. Is your ultimate goal to be directing along side Christopher Nolan? If it is perhaps finding a way to move to USA could be a better idea. If your ambitions are much much lower (say doing television within your country) then doing the course in Sofia (interesting city name, eh?) would probably be a better option

I feel I have a similar problem (and did quite a bit last year as I was in my final year of high school). The difference here is that our country isn't quite as small, its not hugely successful in film but does a decent job. This year I am taking a gap year (a year to earn money....and ponder the posts I shall add to indietalk!)

The other difference is that we do have film schools of a reputable level. I've got into a course for next year which from what I can see is the second best without traveling 600km or whatever the distance is... I couldn't get into the best (IMO) but I shall try again there and if not take up my already secured decent course.

It depends on what to want to do. Is your ultimate goal to be directing along side Christopher Nolan? If it is perhaps finding a way to move to USA could be a better idea. If your ambitions are much much lower (say doing television within your country) then doing the course in Sofia (interesting city name, eh?) would probably be a better option

My goals are always very high .

If I say that I just want to make short films to make a living and that would make me perfectly happy well thats not the case .

Do I dream for an Academy Award ? Yes I do .

Am I going to get it ? Probably not .

But I usually set high goals and I try to chase them with the best of my abilities and thats why I would like to go to foreign country.

Back