Film Plan

I have been working on a film plan. I am looking for someone who has knowledge to tell me how my one sheet film plan can be improved on.

Film Investment Plan

Project: The Marshall Family (Feature Length Film)

Genre: Horror

Written by:

Directed by: Shane Michaels

Story Synopsis:

Attached Starring Cast:

Type of Investment: Equity

Plan Structure: 100% Investors

Drafted Budget: $75,000 USD

Investor Points: 1% share = $750.00

Investor’s Credit in the film: 1% Financial Contributor / 5% - Associate Producer / 10% - Co-Producer / 15% or more - Co-Executive Producer

Anticipated Production Start Date: Spring 2014

Distribution of Revenue Sales:
First - Investor recoup: 100% paid back to investors before any profit distribution

Locations for Shooting: Indiana

It seems rather typical of most independent filmmakers plans. Which is to say below average to poor. It raises questions more than it clarifies.

Post the rest of your business plan for further clarification.

plan (plăn)
n.
1. A scheme, program, or method worked out beforehand for the accomplishment of an objective: a plan of attack.

You asked people to comment on your plan but have never posted one. Your post (#3) is titled as a plan but isn't. According to the definition of the word plan, you have stated some objectives but no "scheme, program, or method worked out beforehand" to accomplish them. For example:

"Distribution of Revenue Sales:
First - Investor recoup: 100% paid back to investors before any profit distribution"

This is a statement of what you intend to do with the proceeds once your plan has been successfully executed, which is fine, but what plan? How do you plan to get "revenue sales" in the first place?

"Drafted Budget: $75,000 USD"

Again, that's an objective you require in order to make your film but it's not a plan. Why do you need $75k? How do you plan on attracting investors to give you $75k and how do you plan on spending the $75k, if you get it, to make a profitable film? $75k is an awkward film budget, it's an extremely low budget with which to achieve a film of commercial standards but at the same time it's a large enough figure to make recouping it extremely difficult using the usual lo/no budget distribution channels (VOD, online self distribution, DVD sales, etc.). Anyone investing anything more than a few bucks in your film will likely know a considerable amount about these issues and will want to know how you plan to address them before they invest a penny.

G

Last edited:
2013%252012%252015%2520%2524100%2520Bill%2520Indie%2520Filmmaking%2520Production%2520Budget%2520Graphic%2520-%2520Light%2520%2526%2520Blurred%2520v2%2520Base%2520%2540%252080%2525.jpg

How much revenue have other films made like the one you're planning?

rayw is sharp as ever :P

This plan looks like the 'plans for a faster than light spaceship' NASA recieves all the time: a drawing with an outline and a square saying 'warpengine'.

This looks like a grocerieslist, not like a plan.
But now you know what to do, so you can still get there :)

I posted my notes here as I'm sure others can benefit from these as much as you.

Looking through your plan:

Page 1: Picture out of focus
Page 2: If I were you, I'd check with a lawyer to whether you can include this in a PPM. I suspect you cannot.

Page 13: Began training when? How far into the future?

Page 23: 1% Financial Contributor though the minimum is 2%. You look incompetent if you include this. 15%+ should be Executive Producer. The Co- isn't needed. You simply have multiple Executive Producers. For those who are interested in credits, it may be worth noting if they'll be noted in the front credits.

Again, check with a lawyer. I believe the wording you use here to explain investor recoupment will get you sued, especially if you achieve cinematic release. I believe the term you want to work with is Percentage of Producers Gross. If you don't you may become liable for a lot of money to investors that cinemas/potential distributor keeps as their share.

Page 24: It's usually Above the line and below the line.
Page 25: Clarify this for me: $1k for contingency, this is contingency insurance? If so, I've never heard of this before.

You're missing a key crew member who is responsible in ensuring you make your 18 day shoot. Any ideas on what they're called?

I also see a fairly large hole in your post production crew list.

Page 26: You mention deferred payments, though there are no details to what these are.

Are payroll taxes not due in your state? If so, they're missing from your budget. Workers compensation?

Your numbers don't make any sense. They're not tallied anywhere. It's poorly explained at best.

Summary: Spell check and proofread before you send this out to anyone.

Now for the part you're going to hate:

You're missing an executive summary. If your aim is to get money from Accredited Investors (well at least HNI) they tend to notice this is missing. Later on, you fail in explaining why your team is exactly what is needed to make this film a success.

I don't remember the exact name, but the Business Proposal Summary is also missing. If it is what you've posted earlier on this thread, you're in serious trouble.

For a feature film, you neglected to include a schedule. Just because I can see it's an 18 day shoot, doesn't mean an investor can.

You missed explaining your contingency plan (or even worse, you simply don't have one)

Your distribution of funds isn't clear.

You are missing top and bottom level returns of similar films. Examples of what success looks like, average and your break even level.

You failed to explain your distribution plan (which I suspect there is none). If you fail to explain your distribution plan, it appears like you have no plan to recoup any money... and in what time period.

...and if that wasn't all bad enough. You never explained your plans on how you will make enough money to pay back your investors and deliver them a profit.

There is no risk assessment and/or risk mitigation plan.

You also missed an opportunity to appeal to the vanity investor.

A typical plan includes:
What you would like the investor to invest.
What you plan to do with the money.
Your research and numbers on why this is a smart investment.
Break even points.
What they stand to gain at different levels of success.
The executive team, their appropriate track record and why they are right the right people to make this project a success.
How you'll make them a profit. Distribution plan and contingencies. (if you plan on pitching to those not familiar with the filming industry, you need to explain the different distribution and what to expect.
How you'll mitigate their risk.
Additional benefits.
Risk assessment.

Good luck, you're going to need it.

How much revenue have other films made like the one you're planning?

Revenue is all fine and dandy, but without a frame of reference of expenses and derived profits from those revenues, it's near useless information. More information needs to be extracted to be useful for an investor.

Back