Film making books?

What are some good books to get on film making?
I plan to get a few, there was a screenwriting book I saw, 'Shot for Shot', 'Rebel Without A Crew', a few others and some on different directors.
So I'm wondering where to go from there.

"Digital Filmmaking" by Mike Figgis was a book recommended by one of my old lecturers and I personally couldn't recommend it more. A great book to have at all times as some of Figgis' advice is invaluable.

I've just finished reading "The DV Rebel's Guide" by Stu Maschwitz. It's focused more on the use of After Effects than just general filmmaking, and some of it is way too advanced for me. Certain sections were well worth a read though; the section on colour correcting was really useful and there are some really good ideas in the editing chapter.

"Filmmakers Book of the Dead" by Danny Draven and "Splatter Flicks" by Sara Caldwell are (obviously) written around the horror genre, but both are worth a read, and the info in them can be applied to almost any genre (do you need many severed heads in a comedy film?).

I've got a couple.
Action filmmaking -the guide to producing kick ass microbudjet action films
Master shots.
The dv rebels guide
Rebel without a crew.
I've read them entirely except the last one which I'm still reading.
The first three are great for action like movies, but have info which is useable in most movies.

Back