film majors

I'm worried that I'm wasting my time with the courses I'm taking freshmen year...
I mean, I have to do the prereq's for the film program. But are there any electives you suggest?
For benefit or just because it's an awesome class

I'm not quite sure exactly what I'm aiming for (i'm a college student.... )
My ultimate goal is in directing.

thanks
kim

Last edited:
If you're looking to do directing, there's a lot avenues you can do to help this skill set.

An obvious one is doing theatre, if you can. This is where directing has its roots and should help you get performances out of your actors etc. Also, it will help you to think about basic stage blocking, which is a key skill set in direction.

Taking a literature class will help you to understand analysis of stories. Why did the author do this, that etc. This skill set can help you to understand the script a lot better and to play to its strengths in its direction.

A photography class is another good class to take. Understand all the technical aspect of filmmaking will only help you to direct your films. If you understand the craft of lighting and filming, you can think up different directions to take in terms of lighting. Also, it'd be good to know how to talk to a cinematographer in their own terms.

Really, there's a lot of class you can take. I took a Russian History class in Junior College and found it very interesting and feel I can draw from that later on down the road. Its amazing what an eclectic education can do for you. I would recommend going through the prerequisites with an eye towards honestly learning the subject and seeing what you can use for your films. Art is imitation of life, after all, so the more you know and learn, the better artist you'll become.

That's some great advice!

The only thing I'll add is find where the folks in the film program gather and introduce yourself. I bet any project they are working on is undermanned and could at least use a PA or something. So maybe just working and making stuff with others would be enough to keep you satisfied while you take the boring prerequisites.

Good luck!

thank you both for your advice it was really helpful!

and i will definitely look into those for next year

any other college advice i should know before i stumble out there?

Back