• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Film Look Solution with HD Camera

Recently we shot a music video using a Canon XHA1 with the Redrock adapter. We were trying to go for a High Noon look, and ended up using 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm lenses. The camera plus adapter and lenses ran us about $6000 total, and we are extremely happy with the look. Admittedly, the adapter we used reduced light by about two F-stops, but the new one only reduces it by about 1/2. Overall though, lighting wasn't much of a problem for us. I am absolutely amazed how this setup can fool people into thinking it is film. And in post, I did not have to use any color correction.

Please check out the video at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUSbxzcMs_4&fmt=22

Tell us what you think. I personally think that this is a great alternative to reducing that sharp HD look. I would be happy to answer any questions. Thanks.

Thanks. I do believe the Redrock makes a massive difference. At least for the look, this was a significant step up in quality for us. Now, after 6 years, we may be able to fool people into thinking that we know what we are doing. :)

Thanks. I do believe the Redrock makes a massive difference. At least for the look, this was a significant step up in quality for us. Now, after 6 years, we may be able to fool people into thinking that we know what we are doing. :)

Another plus is a very good operator and a focus puller. My DP has spent 25 years as an operator. He can tear down a panaflex in his sleep. Like MOST operators he REALLY wants to be a DP, so he brought all that experince to the table for slave wages to get a DP credit.

Back