Film Inform - Walkie Ettiquette

For those who are interested in learning proper walkie lingo, read our post on the link below!

Full Article:http://www.theurbanartproject.com/blog/2012/02/02/film-inform-walkie-ettiquite/

Excerpt:

You might be thinking; ‘When is this going to be useful? Why would I need proper ettiquite on a walkie?’.

In film making, walkies are used across the board, from small indie sets, all the way up to hollywood. You’ll need to get used to walkies, and how to use them, because they will be around you while your in the film biz. I’ll be going through the basics, and telling you why things are the way they are.
Walkies are used for fast communication among a large group of people. The purpose of walkie ettiquette is to keep things clear, fast, and simple, to be most efficient. There is nothing worse then being on a set and half the people don’t know how to properly talk on a walkie, it’s fustrating, and inefficent.

Below are a few basic terms when using a walkie:

-”Walkie Check”
(This is said when first turning on your walkie. Someone will reply with ‘Good Check’ which means your mic is working)

-”Bill for Joe” or “(Name) for (Name)”
(‘Bill’ being your name, for , ‘Joe’ the name of the person you are wanting to communicate with. Of course you replace Bill and Joe with the actual names of the people)​

www.theUrbanArtProject.com

Last edited:
Nice write-up Costa. I'd only suggest a reminder to pause for a second after hitting the key before speaking, and similarly giving a split second after finishing to release, mostly for folks using surveillance. Lots of folks new to walkies tend to have the beginning and ending of their sentences cut off from timing the key wrong. :D

Back