Film Group

So I recently started a filmmaking club at my high school to get people who feel the same about it as me. The first meeting was way more successful then I would have ever guessed and 30 people showed up. I had a whole plan for about 8 people but I don't know how to start out with a 30 person group. So what I'm asking is have any of you guys ever been part of or lead a big filmmaking group. If so then what kind of things do you think I should do? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

........ I don't want it to be my idea I want some people from the group to speak up.

Then make next session a brainstorm session.
There is 1 big rule forgood brainstorming: nothing you say in this phase can be wrong.*
Even things that make no sense can fit perfectly when all the dots are connected.

*This rule is important.
Afaik everyone is 'afraid' to do something, because there is a fear of failure.
But like I said before: you only fail if you do nothing.

What are you afraid of?

You've got 6 people wanting to do something, but apparently all are a bit cautious. Maybe everyone is inexperienced and hoping the rest won't find out their lack of experience?
Nobody cares about that: like Direktorik said: you have a team of 6 people now.
This means you can make 1 short and work on 5 others as well.

It's school. This is where you get to make something "not perfect." Obviously try your best but there is a reason that you learn 2+2 and are made to practice that simple ("ugh, but it's so easy and boring!") thing over and over before you start graphing y=3sin(1/2x) - 4

You just need to have a goal for your first project. Go in, be a leader, say "Ok, guys we are going to shoot a fruit loops commercial. No special effects, no humor. Just a boring (don't actually say boring though) fruit loops commercial." Then set a shoot date and location and tell everyone to show up. You produce, direct, and edit this first one.

The human brain works on a reward system, so give yourself and the others small goals to start that are easy to accomplish, and make them progressively harder. It's the same principle that all these app games work on. And it gets people addicted and motivated to do more, so they can keep getting that chemical reward in their brain for reaching a goal. But if you don't start making something, anything, they (and you!)won't get that monkey on their back in the first place.

I mean I like that it's down to 6 people people because like you said we can all work on one project. The problem that I was talking about with the 6 people is that well 4 of them are only there because it's my club and they're my friends, they support me but aren't really too much into it. The other people are into all different styles of things I am. I mean its not that bad but I there were some other people that used to be in the club with good ideas that I wish would have stayed.

Yeah the festival thing was an idea I recently had so it would give us a deadline and some incentive. I think the real reason I haven't done anything is because I have a hard time explaining anything to people so usually my ideas don't come out well then get shut down. Every time I get something going I just worry that I won't be able to sell it to them and I know that's a really stupid thing to worry about, it's just something that I've always dealt with. I've always hated working in a group or even being in control because of this. I think next session I'm gonna try and get somethings going with this group because I don't know how much longer these people are gonna keep showing up.

Went through something similar with a film group i had, and a friend went through something similar and he had a lot of professional friends. Free events offering free food and alcoholic beverages got the best response, but it does cost you a lot of money. At least my group did a lot of productions. You could get some films and show them. If you can it in with another organization, you could get their members to attend. Just decide on a project and do it. You could just abandon it if you decide it isn't worth the effort. I did it with mine. An offshoot of mine ended up being a successful film festival.

I mean its not that bad but I there were some other people that used to be in the club with good ideas that I wish would have stayed.

Have you considered that they left since you weren't making anything? I've found many groups, went to a meeting, left and never came back as they weren't doing anything but talking.

I think the real reason I haven't done anything is because I have a hard time explaining anything to people so usually my ideas don't come out well then get shut down.

It's partly why I said become a better leader. There's a saying that I was introduced to a while back. "Never wish the world was easier, always wish you were better." It works on multiple levels, but what you should take away from it is you need to step up. If your team needs someone who can communicate better, then you need to learn to communicate better.

I think next session I'm gonna try and get somethings going with this group

Best case, you make a film and start to develop a team. Worst case, you learn who's on board for the journey you're going to make and you'll shed those who are holding your back. That's about as close to a win/win situation as you can get.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Alright well we've had two meetings since I last posted and there has been some improvement. We not seem to have about 3 committed people that aren't just my friends. They had a plan to shoot something that they meant to a while ago and they shot that the past 3 days. It was a comedy that they thought was funny and while my friends and I had to force a couple of fake laughs at the idea it was an idea which was more than the rest of us ever made. I think this is a good step for the club to finally get the wheels rolling a little bit. Not sure what to do with next meeting since its right before spring break but I guess that could also be a good thing to give time to develop some things. I don't think were gonna enter in any film festivals at least not for a long time. There isn't really any questions on this just giving an update which it sounded like some people wanted.

Thanks for the update!
Great to hear something is actually happening.

Next time you could think of making a commercial for something non existent, but would be cool if it did exist. Or rediculous. Like haircoloring shampoo of which the color can be adjusted with an app. :P
(I really need to work on that idea: it has been on the shelf for ages: typing this just reminded me of it. When I first thought of it, apps didn't exist yet :P )

The benefit of a commercial s that is has to be short.
It will teach you to keep things short and tell a story in 1, 2 or 3 shots.
And it is fun to mock clichés :)

You make it sound so easy. Something in my brain makes going out and filming something have to be perfect. And I know it's a bad thing making everything have to be perfect to go out do it but I just overthink it then end up not doing it. I don't want it to be my idea I want some people from the group to speak up.

Don't let perfect be the enemy of good!

Don't worry so much if your first film is a flop (pssstt... it probably will be! :-P ).

As it is by DOING you will learn and get better each time than the time before.

Don't let inaction on the part of others stop you, it can be as simple as just you with a camera and one or two others.

To quote Nike's slogan: JUST DO IT! ;)

Back