Film Grad School

So, I'm weighing my options for the next couple of years. I figure after a I do a few short films in the next year, year and a half, I'll have to make a next step. One of those possible next steps would be Grad School. One of the schools I am looking at is Savannah College of Arts and Design. I was curious if anyone knows anything about this college, good or bad. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

I partly agree with Gonzo. Instead of going to film school I would try to find someone you can apprentice with for a couple years. I would never encourage you to spend thousands of dollars making a film, having no experience. To much of that going on nowadays. It is like shooting yourself in the foot. But film school isn't what it used to be for filmmakers. And if you are determined to go you should head out to New York or LA, as sad as it sounds, because that is where they are making the major motion films.

Yeah. I mean, I have some experience, so it's not like I don't know what I'm doing. I minored in film as an undergrad and have made several shorts that aren't really worth showing anyone. It's basically just such a complicated decision, I have to make some sort of move. Whether it's just focusing on doing (professional-grade) shorts or going back to school, I'm not sure yet. I've thought about moving out to LA or up NY, but I feel like I should make some short films, music videos and maybe do some apprenticing (like you said) before I make a huge blind leap like that. I need to know what my strong points and weaknesses are before heading into the big leagues and I'm not going to do that making shorts just with my friends as cast/crew. But, in any case, thanks for the feedback.

I have a really good day job (IT person for the biggest DVD/Game wholesale distributor in the country), and I'm taking the money I could be spending on 52" TVs, vacations, new cars, etc... and spending it making shorts. The idea being to learn from each one, get progressively better, then use the documentation of that evolution to help secure funding for a feature. From there, we'll see where it goes. My philosophy is always "Shut up and make movies".

I very much would love to make it a living. That's been the idea all along. Right now, however, it's merely a hobby I take very seriously. I'm looking for a way to jump it from a hobby to a living, or even from a hobby to a part-time gig and then from PT gig to full time living.

Just an opinion, from somebody who has never taken a single class having anything to do with filmmaking, take the 10K, 20K, 30K, 40K, etc... that it would cost you, and make movies.

Gonzo, a lot of that money you brought up is much easier to obtain via scholarships and school grants than it is for funding a film.

I think it's a good idea for people to go to film school given certain circumstances. With me, I happen to live in an area that doesn't have a sizable interest in film making. Not to mention I'm still new to the area so I don't have any friends to call upon.

So if I want to make films I have a better chance to do it in a more organized setting i.e. film school. Plus it's a good thing if you don't have access to decent equipment or serious like minded people. And you're still making films.

I very much would love to make it a living. That's been the idea all along. Right now, however, it's merely a hobby I take very seriously. I'm looking for a way to jump it from a hobby to a living, or even from a hobby to a part-time gig and then from PT gig to full time living.

Ok. So you know you want to make a living making films. That is a good place to start. However, seeing as to how you want to make a living at it, you can't really go the "Shut up and make films" approach. While that is a great attitude to have and I wish there was more people such as Gonzo living near me, making a living in filmmaking is harder that route. I'll try to explain further.

While you don't need to go to college, in this instance it might help with your long term goal. Most people think that when they get out of film school you are going to walk right onto a major motion set and into a paycheck. 99% of the time that is the wrong notion. You will learn a lot about the business, come out with some applicable skills, and probably make a few connections, but you are still going to need to prove yourself before you make a living off of this industry.

Coming out of film school you may have enough knowledge that you can do some free work. Helping out a church, doing a promo for a school, even making a short film. I suggest it is this time that you decide on what aspect of filmmaking you would want to get into. Lighting, DP, Directing, Editing, Producing. This way you'll learn a little bit of everything and you can pick what you like the most. Once you have decided you should start trying to work in the field for a paycheck. Maybe intern for a year, or apprentice someone for a year, or start as a lowly PA and work your way through the ranks making connections and learning everything you can. Now here's the tricky part, when your doing this work it probably won't be on films. These jobs will probably be corporate video, commercials, music videos, etc. Only once in a great while will you possibly be getting paid for making a film. Unless it is for free. Maybe not. Maybe you'll come out of the gate and have several gigs lined up on major motion sets, but I wouldn't count on it.

After a few years of slugging it out then you just might be able to break into the movie world. Is this the only way to make it into filmmaking as a living. No. There are other routes to take. But they are even harder then this approach. Unless you have a remarkable talent at making movies, which will stick out if you do, then you may just walk right in while some one hands you a truck load of cash. Wouldn't that be sweet. But don't count on it. Even people with lots of skill had to put in their time at one point.

If you just want to do this as a hobby or try to break into the filmmaking world through making movies. Then I say yes. By all means do what Gonzo is doing and "Shut up and make films." Some of the best experience you are going to get is from being on a set and not from a class room or book. But be careful because you want to make sure you are getting the right experience.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Back