• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

File this under HUH???

Tonight the teaser for our film screened at the Midwest International Film Festival. While it was extremely cool to see something from our project on the big screen there is an issue I'm scratching my head trying to figure out. No one I know who are technical guru's have been able to figure this out either so I post it here in hopes someone can enlighten me and help others from having the same thing happen.

The teaser was delivered on a data DVD as a DV file. The film was shot on mini-DV in 24p format and was captured and edited in FCP5. The DV file, which to my knowledge has no added compression to it, looked very rough projected on the big screen. A lot of jaggedness. No normally I'd chalk this up to it being that the film has a resolution of 720x480 while the screen in designed for much larger.

But this is where it gets weird. Another teaser was shown that was shot on DV but it looked fine. It too was edited in FCP5. The difference is that when they delivered their file to the festival they compressed it with QT7 using H.264. The festival then took this file and re-rendered it as a DV file. So, by my math, this process had three layers of compression: the original DV, the H.264, and another DV. Mine only had the original DV.

So why did the file I submit look worse than this other file? Anyone?

(In any event the our teaser still looked decent just not up to par for a perfectionist ass like me.)

You mean like interlace lines? I had those in Bloody Hell because half the footage was 24p advanced being edited in a 29.97 timeline. Might be that. Try playing with your export settings and maybe it'll work itself out. Sometimes things do that.

Thunderclap said:
The DV file, which to my knowledge has no added compression to it

That's not entirely true. DV has compression in it and if there needs to be any "rendering", you will lose quality and add more compression to the image too.

There's the cocnept of a 4:1:1 color space of mini DV as well.

Back