• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

critique Feedback for screenplay outline wanted.

So, I've came up with this idea for a screenplay because of a line in a song from X called Los Angeles, where at one point, the singers sings "she had to leave". As I took those words out of context, I asked myself "Why did she have to leave?". Based on that thought I had an idea about a story.

The title of the screenplay is supposed to be "She Had to Leave".

The logline I have is: "A seventeen-year-old girl, whose dream it is to become a renowned actress, runs away from home only to face the harsh reality of what life outside of a small town can be like."

I have attached a one page outline if you can call it that, summarizing the events of like the first act. I'd greatly appreciate any feedback on the current outline, the logline, any thoughts about it honestly, if you can spare some of your time.

Attachments

• SheHadtoLeaveOutline.pdf
    34.8 KB · Views: 207
It's not clear to me how old these people are. But...

I would start with Laylah leaving home. She meets Kyle and they spend the night together. She wakes up - he's dead in bed next to her.
She panics - now what? Call the cops? She hears sirens outside, sees flashing lights. Shit!

Then flash back to the beginning and show us how she got there.

Good luck!

I didn't read it but I think the sirens and lights is a bit too literal. Like I said I didn't read it but if a girl in a new town is with a new man and she wakes up to him dead, a loud knock at the door, extreme close up of her jerking her head toward the door, and CUT to flashback there. Why not sirens? The knock. Who is it? We don't know. That's better to me.

My main point isn't the sirens/lights vs knocking, but to OPEN with her waking up with the dead guy in her bed. The writer's got that 20 minutes or so in, and I think that needs to be the opening to get people's attention.

Last edited:
Gotcha! I didn't realize he had sirens and lights going already. That's my bad for not reading.

I didn't realize he had sirens and lights going already.

He didn't - I just mean that that's the least important part of my critique :)
If I were writing this, I'd keep lights and sirens, but then they go right by - they're not for her. But the next time, they might be.

I agree with you that knocking is sufficient but stand by the rest of my comments. I'm a big believer in scripts that grab you immediately, and I think what he has at the end of his 1st act synopsis belongs at the beginning.

Last edited:
Yes good points! My point was not knowing if it's the cops, a friend, the landlord, a delivery... etc. and flashing back adds more suspense, as now we have to build up to that point to see who was at the door and what happens after. Knowing it's the cops already unravels part of the mystery.

So I thank you for your replies and suggestions, I tried to explain a little bit more, I got the impression, that some stuff wasn't as clear as I thought it to be (maybe I'm wrong about that).

It's not clear to me how old these people are.
Laylah is seventeen, Kyle twenty.
Then flash back to the beginning and show us how she got there.
I think what he has at the end of his 1st act synopsis belongs at the beginning.
I understand how this could grab the readers (or viewers) attention, but I am having trouble to completely understand how you meant it.
Maybe it is because of the outline being rather superficial and not as clear to others as it is to me, but to me it seems like that there is not enough happening before? What I was going for is an introduction of Laylah and her life in her home town and how she starts to seriously plan to run away, which she eventually does. Almost immediately followed by her encounter with Kyle, which is supposed to be Laylahs first insight into the harsh reality outside of her protected home.

She panics - now what? Call the cops? She hears sirens outside, sees flashing lights. Shit!
I like this very much.

I read the outline and actually liked it. There are some ways to improve it (just suggestions, really)

1. The leaving scene - it is actually great scene if written out well. Let me suggest how it should be redone - we see a not one scene, but a number of days (scenes) she prepares to leave - saving money, drawing plans, discussing staying in LA, choosing a car. (Reader is intrigued why the 17 old is so meticulously prepares her departure - it is not something which any 17 old does).

Important moment; we actually don't know if Layla is really talented. There are could be two possibilities - she has zero talent (Summer is wrong). Another possibility is that Layla is a real gem - then the script should prove that Layla is actually talented, like by having her win a local contest or something.

Important moment 2. If Layla is artistic and talented, she is probably good looking. And good looking 17 year old girl SHOULD have a kind of romantic relationship. That is totally missing.

2. Leaving scene -needs emotional connection to the home town. She hangs out with friends, family, teachers before leaving. She is sad to leave them (girl's emotions) and may drop some cryptical messages which they don't understand - and she may hug parents without telling why, just thanking for everything and or just crying. That could be a powerful scene.

3. The looking last time at the home, or parents' room - this could be a wonderful scene - she would watch them sleeping peacefully (we should see her emotions whe she silently says them goodbye). This is an important moment, when she becomes a runaway.

3. Scene of actual leaving (ride in a car) - mixed emotions of leaving friends and family yet being excited by the future. This scene should be enriched and some important details added. She could cry in the car - and yet sing or dance in the car, feeling how she gets closer to her dream. We don't have any depiction of that in the script - Layla right now seems little bit like a robot.

4. Important things are missing like what her parents and friends react (it is not in the script - did they cry? panic? what happened when they read the letter? did they cry? did they joy?), what about friends? Did they realize she left for good? What did they fell? Did Summer miss her? Did Summer think that they should left together? Did Summer tell police and parents about their last talk? (a scene of "last supper" really..). Did Summer realize the dangerous situation to which she persuaded her best friend to go?

5. Logic. What about police? Police should be immediately contacted, and probably they will or try to intercept her at the highway (cause they already should know the plate number - it is a small town, and seller would disclose that to police immediately).

6. For a girl, who has meticulously planned and executed her departure, the picking up of a stranger, who turns out to be a thief and addict, is very strange, and is not something we'd expect from the girl. What is the purpose of the scene? If it doesn't have any special meaning, it should be cut out. We already know the Kyle's line will go nowhere - so why spend precious time on something that doesn't really matter?

I think what is really important is what actually understanding the reason why Layla is leaving - is it only because Summer told her so? Maybe there was an urgent call for auditions with a looming deadline and parents would object? Why parents would object to audition - if they knew Layla is talented, what would be their reason? Why dad couldn't just drive Layla to LA? What are Summer's intentions? Why Summer did not really leave? etc.

Last edited:
Not an experienced writer, but for what it's worth I really like the premise of your story. Not sure if that's how you intend play the story out in full but personally I would delve further into her relationship with Kyle. Perhaps make it a story of co-habitual drug use before she sees the road to salvation (possibly due to his death). In any case, thought it was a good treatment, Go with it and make it as good as you can!

Maybe she has a favourite author? Actor/actress
She lives by the quote. You know?
Something like ‘life on the road’ I looked up at the dark sky and prayed to God for a better break in life and a better chance to do something for the little people I loved.
Maybe she leaves that in her note and she gets in that car and drives hoping for a break because that’s all she needs is a break. There’s a part she’s going to audition for at the end of the road she just needs to make it there on time.
A flat tyre means she has to stop at the side of the road and Kyle happens to be passing in his truck
She’s aware of the danger as it’s dark and she’s alone but she throws caution to the wind because of that smile. They talk, laugh and gain common ground in their love of books. He who is not a fan of ‘life on the road’ poking fun at all the flaws and how he believes life and death is all there is.
I like the the tragic death but it feels a little bit forced as a follow on from their meet. Maybe they are heading the same place but for entirely different reasons.
I agree a back story on Kyle would be helpful to understand why he is there at that time and what is he bringing to this story.
Maybe she finds a gun in his backpack in the motel and that’s where his story begins to unfold

Back