favorite Favorite Short Films?

What are your guys' favorite short films, and why do you like them? My personal favorites are Mobius and Elefante, but I like a lot of different short films.
*EDIT* I recently watched a short film that I'd like to add to my list of favorites: Mi Amigo Invisible, I really enjoy the work that Pablo Larcuen has put up on vimeo :D

Last edited:
I have seen tons of short films so I'll limit myself a bit.

Un Chien Andalou (Luis Buñuel)
Night And Fog (Alain Resnais)
The Goat (Buster Keaton)
The Red Balloon (Albert Lamorisse)
Diary Of A Pregnant Woman (Agnès Varda)
Cry Me A River (Jia Zhangke)
Outer Space (Peter Tscherkassky)
My Love (Aleksandr Petrov)
Tomorrow's Sun (Nagisa Oshima)
Ginga no uo Ursa Minor Blue (Shigeru Tamura)
The Immigrant (Charlie Chaplin)
Duo Concertantes (Larry Jordan)
The Steamroller And The Violin (Andrei Tarkovsky)
The Cage (Shuji Terayama)

These are some films that I don't know if they fit in for various reasons. I consider them to be short films but they may not be short films based on other definitions.
April Story (Shunji Iwai; it is one hour long though)
Tokyo March (Kenji Mizoguchi; this is a fragment of one of his lost feature films)
Les Fiancés du pont Mac Donald (Agnès Varda; this is a short film within a feature film that can be viewed separately)

EDIT: I completely forgot that we had to explain. For the most part these films are experimental, and I like them for their awesome mix of visuals, sound, and concept. Also its easier for me to watch short experimental films than features so it's fun to see this stuff without having to take over an hour of experimentation. I love a short documentary like Night And Fog for its sheer emotional power (it is about the Holocaust). I love The Red Balloon and The Steamroller And The Violin because they are simply some of the most beautiful non-animated children's films of all-time, especially The Red Balloon. I love Aleksandr Petrov's work because not only is it amazing that he make animations out of oil paintings but the stories that he tells are brilliant and show a mix of the inner and outside world of the character's lives. I love Cry Me A River because it has a great contemplative reflective tone that made me think a lot about youth, romance, and the fleeting nature of life. I love silent comedies in general so I have three of them on this list, I think you either love silent comedy or not, I just find it very entertaining. I love April Story a lot because it has a sweet innocent love story that wouldn't work for a feature, but works extremely well as a short film. In general, I love short films because they say so much with so little and I can watch them again and again and again without worrying too much about the time I spend.

Last edited:
I have seen tons of short films so I'll limit myself a bit.

Un Chien Andalou (Luis Buñuel)
Night And Fog (Alain Resnais)
The Goat (Buster Keaton)
The Red Balloon (Albert Lamorisse)
Diary Of A Pregnant Woman (Agnès Varda)
Cry Me A River (Jia Zhangke)
Outer Space (Peter Tscherkassky)
My Love (Aleksandr Petrov)
Tomorrow's Sun (Nagisa Oshima)
Ginga no uo Ursa Minor Blue (Shigeru Tamura)
The Immigrant (Charlie Chaplin)
Duo Concertantes (Larry Jordan)
The Steamroller And The Violin (Andrei Tarkovsky)
The Cage (Shuji Terayama)

These are some films that I don't know if they fit in for various reasons. I consider them to be short films but they may not be short films based on other definitions.
April Story (Shunji Iwai; it is one hour long though)
Tokyo March (Kenji Mizoguchi; this is a fragment of one of his lost feature films)
Les Fiancés du pont Mac Donald (Agnès Varda; this is a short film within a feature film that can be viewed separately)

EDIT: I completely forgot that we had to explain. For the most part these films are experimental, and I like them for their awesome mix of visuals, sound, and concept. Also its easier for me to watch short experimental films than features so it's fun to see this stuff without having to take over an hour of experimentation. I love a short documentary like Night And Fog for its sheer emotional power (it is about the Holocaust). I love The Red Balloon and The Steamroller And The Violin because they are simply some of the most beautiful non-animated children's films of all-time, especially The Red Balloon. I love Aleksandr Petrov's work because not only is it amazing that he make animations out of oil paintings but the stories that he tells are brilliant and show a mix of the inner and outside world of the character's lives. I love Cry Me A River because it has a great contemplative reflective tone that made me think a lot about youth, romance, and the fleeting nature of life. I love silent comedies in general so I have three of them on this list, I think you either love silent comedy or not, I just find it very entertaining. I love April Story a lot because it has a sweet innocent love story that wouldn't work for a feature, but works extremely well as a short film. In general, I love short films because they say so much with so little and I can watch them again and again and again without worrying too much about the time I spend.

Thanks for the list :) I'll have to watch them at some point, I think that the only one that I've seen from your list is The Red Balloon

Back