Falling into Snakes?!

Hey Everyone,
In my current adventure film the main character (Which is actually ME this time) falls into a pit of snakes. My question is fairly straight forward.. how.. on a budget.. can I make this look real and good? I'm on a budget, that is what's tough about this.

Now, I suppose I could fill my pit with fake snakes... but that seems like it would just be too motionless. I then considered non-harmful snakes from a pet store, but I think in the long run it would be too costly to maintain that many snakes haha... What I'm considering is mostly fake snakes with one or two real, but safe non-venomous snakes? That way they add some movement to it.

How would you film this scene on a budget?

I also considered hanging a greenscreen at the bottom of the pit, and chroma keying in a large amount of snakes in the bottom.

lol well this is for the Indiana Phones movie, even though the title later was changed to "Indiana Bones and the Tomb of the Lost Pharaoh". The first 3 scenes came along beautifully, filming an adventure movie is like nothing I've ever filmed before, very beat up and exhausted :).

Anyway, we ordered a couple dozen fake snakes online, because they need to be scattered all over the ground in one scene, and one or two need to be on the shoulder of the female lead, before she realizes them and throws them away.

The parody itself is really quirky, for the opening scene in the cave Indiana switches out the bag of sand for the idol (reversed), except our Idol was actually a replica Oscar, which just made it even funnier. The entire tunnel then fills with water and smoke and Indiana runs the length of it before jumping into the river. (We had like 2 minutes to film inside of the actual tunnel, because we used smoke bombs in the tunnel)

Anyway it's looking amazing, can't wait to show you guys more and release a trailer soon. Thanks for the suggestions on this, I think I'll stick with the fake ones!

Back