• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

eye line ?

Hey all,
Iv been sorta struggling with the concept of eye line. So far I have been doing OK with eye line by relying on blocking the scene and not changing the blocking between shots. Basically the actors are always in the same position and thus the eye line looks natural regardless of where the camera is. I have a fear of "cheating" actors around in the scene. I would like to move them sometimes to bring out a detail or improve the light\shadows, but I worry that I will destroy the eye line between shots.

Does anyone have any good examples of eye line trickery or even failures?
Other good links on how to maintain eye line throughout the scene?

I was told that in my first short film that the eyelines did not match, so I guess so far I have learned that in you are going to cheat, make sure you have learned the rules. I am still figuring them out. When you edit, you have to cut on the same eyeline though too. I thought the actors were looking at each other, and could honestly not tell, but you cannot substitute reaction shots from certain angles, depending.

Back