External hard drive??? Not sure....

I am planning on video recording an hour painting session...its actually someone teaching while he is a painting a building. This will require two cameras...one to film the artist and the second to film the palet...and we will be using a lav mic as he will be discussing what he is doing. The end result will be a split screen.
The artists says the painting should be about one hour long.

What would I do with an hour long video on two cameras...I don't want to put two hours of this on my computor so I was thinking about an ehd...I am not sure if thats what I would use.

What I am looking for is something where I can download this footage onto and then plug it into my computor and transport it to the editing software. Because there is miminal editing involved (split screen so no cutting) it wouldn't take me forever to put it together. Just add background music/credits ect.

What have you all done in this situation?

Thanks...Kazze.

I've got an Internal Drive for my system and applications (750Mb), I've got an Internal working drive for my footage I'm currently working on (2Tb), I've got an external project storage drive for moving my projects to when I've finished with them (3Tb) with a matching backup. I've got a series of cold storage bare drives and a dock for them for longer term storage of my projects. I still have all my tapes from when I was shooting in the tape days as well, the card based storage I'm using now has me a bit twitchy about my ability to recover from a cascading data failure.

I always edit on an internal drive (not the system drive) as the data path is much faster. I then move my completed projects to the the external to keep the internal work drive clear for the next project/s.

I've got an Internal Drive for my system and applications (750Mb), I've got an Internal working drive for my footage I'm currently working on (2Tb), I've got an external project storage drive for moving my projects to when I've finished with them (3Tb) with a matching backup. I've got a series of cold storage bare drives and a dock for them for longer term storage of my projects. I still have all my tapes from when I was shooting in the tape days as well, the card based storage I'm using now has me a bit twitchy about my ability to recover from a cascading data failure.

I always edit on an internal drive (not the system drive) as the data path is much faster. I then move my completed projects to the the external to keep the internal work drive clear for the next project/s.

What sort of connections do you have on your computer? USB 3 and Firewire 2 are the best for cameras, external hard drives, and Blu-Ray burners. They are faster than Ethernet Network data transfers. I copied a 33 Gig folder onto a WD Passport drive with USB 3 and my new computer transfered the folder with a sustained transfer rate of better than 100 Megs per second until all the files got transfered over. That is faster than a SATA BUS system that transfers data at about 33 Megs a second. And, the SATA drive uses data buffering to achieve those speed. Most Ethernet connections are limited to 10 Megs a second.

These days, external hard drives are much more reliable than they used to be because the old ones would overheat too easily.

Yeah, I'm with knightly. Put it on your internal hard drive, until you feel confident that you're finished with the final edit and have made the final render. After that, store in on external, with a backup.

Also, APE, syncing audio is quick and easy. kazze will be fine.

Western Digital Passport External HDs are very good and reliable. A 2TB size should be good. However, they use USB 2/3 connections. There are larger size external HDs that come with USB 2/3 and Firewire1/2 connections and cables in 2 TB and 3TB sizes for like $300 and $400.

You only need to edit with internal hard drives in very old computers with EIDE and IDE bus systems because they had sync problems with Firewire and USB bus systems. That sync problem was very apparent with the audio being out of sync for a client's video I was editing on an old Firewire hard drive with an EIDE internal HD system. After transferring the whole project to my secondary internal EIDE HD and re-rendering the project in Premiere was I able to fix the audio/video sync problem.

I've edited entire productions with all video capture and data files on Firewire external hard drives on a Dual Core system with two internal SATA hard drives.

It all depends on your hardware.

So clearly I am a little bit behind the 8 ball with anything like that (and I cannot be)....internal drive?
Would it be completely insane to just put the footage in my computer storage as I do with other video clips I have and photos (right now I have a lot of footage that I use again and again so its in this computer).

As for the audio...I am using a lav mic only (well unless I can get a hold of a boom mic too but it may not be likely) It is not something I am worried about. Perhaps it will be a pita in post but I think I can sync it okay in post...if the talents starts off saying something that I can line it up with the action...that sort of thing.

Then there is filming the split screen part of it. I was thinking of angling the camera to the right to show the canvas...camera two angling it to the left to show the paint board...then in post when they are split, nothing will be cut out...I hope.

The hard drive can only access a single piece of data at any given point in time... so if you're asking it to run a program, keep the system going and pull a continuous stream of video at the same time, it'll generally choke somewhere in there and you'll get HUGE slowdowns. So putting your system and apps on one HD and the footage on another is a good thing.

Back