• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Expert advice needed: Huge budget for film studio set up

Hi all,

I work as an in house video producer for a consulting company and we are interested in building a studio at our offices. I've just been given the task of building our studio with a budget of $25, 000. Now, I have an idea of what to buy but I want to make sure I'm being smart about it and want to get the best gear for the best price.

We will be doing greenscreen work of course, but I wanted advice on the following:

Greenscreen studio:
  • Types of greenscreens
  • lighting
  • cameras
  • sound including recording devices
  • clamps, accessories, etc

In addition, we will be setting up in another space for live event type of shooting. So, if you have any advice for gear for this type of set up, I would appreciate it! Ideally, we are looking for the 2 spaces to have 2 sets of gear for each purpose. The live event would essentially be mounted and not moveable just so we can have it set up and ready to go with little set up time.

Unfortunately, $25,000 is a relatively small budget for a studio setup. You might want to do a search on this forum regarding audio, camera, etc. You might want to start with telling what equipment you have, the space you have (already set up acoustically, shape ceiling size, electrical setup, etc.). You might want to check with some local cable access station to see their set up. They would have spent at least 10 times what you want to spend, but it will give you an idea of a small studio.

Hi all,

I work as an in house video producer for a consulting company and we are interested in building a studio at our offices. I've just been given the task of building our studio with a budget of $25, 000. Now, I have an idea of what to buy but I want to make sure I'm being smart about it and want to get the best gear for the best price.

We will be doing greenscreen work of course, but I wanted advice on the following:

Greenscreen studio:
  • Types of greenscreens
  • lighting
  • cameras
  • sound including recording devices
  • clamps, accessories, etc

In addition, we will be setting up in another space for live event type of shooting. So, if you have any advice for gear for this type of set up, I would appreciate it! Ideally, we are looking for the 2 spaces to have 2 sets of gear for each purpose. The live event would essentially be mounted and not moveable just so we can have it set up and ready to go with little set up time.

Well the first thing you're going to want to do, if your bosses are SERIOUS about this is them them they need to contact the electric company and get a license to use the drop down. It'll be a huge case in the wall with five thick cords attached to it. Hopefully your building has one that's not used and doesn't have the five cables attached to it.

If you guys happen to have one unused, that's the room your studio will need to go in. You'll then need to spend about 2 grand on getting a distro setup. Yea this part is essential but will be the basis for the future of this studio's power.

This is the ONLY logical way to power a studio of decent size for long term use.

As far as audio goes, what will you be recording? Talking heads or presenters moving about the studio or both? How many will there be? Will there ALWAYS be a PSM and/or a boom-op? Are you going to sonically treat the room(s)? We sound folks need LOTS more information.

I work as an in house video producer for a consulting company and we are interested in building a studio at our offices.

As Alcove already asked, we're going to need much more info, particularly as the info you've provided so far is rather contradictory. For example, you state that you're a "video producer" but that you want to build a "film studio" and that you want to build it in an office. A film studio is a different thing from a video/TV studio, for starters they're usually considerably larger and even TV studios are relatively large spaces, several/many times larger than an office. Size matters, large spaces require relatively little acoustic treatment beyond isolation. The first thing we need to know is what you want to make in these studios, for example: Films, TV or Youtube vids? The second thing we need to know is what sort of films, TV or youtube vids. Greenscreen and "live event type shooting" is very vague, what sort of live events/content? Knowing the rough size/dimensions of the studio/rooms in question would also be useful.

Expert advice needed: Huge budget for film studio set up.

I'm going to go a step beyond Morris' statement of $25k being a "relatively small budget" and say that for commercial applications, $25K is a tiny budget. You could easily blow past your $25k budget just on basic construction (power distribution, rigging and acoustic treatment for example) and that's before you buy ANY of the actual equipment you listed! Depending on what sort of content you want to make, $25k might not cover the cost of just the sound recording equipment for one of your rooms and, I won't even mention the cost of doing anything with that sound once you've recorded it or again, any of the other equipment you listed. On the face of it, the budget you've got isn't remotely "huge", you could easily struggle to get a highly compromised bare minimum for $25K and even a budget 10 times bigger would still be very small for many/most commercial scenarios.

G

I agree, we need to know more about what you're filming.

As a random side note, if you're looking to save money, one green screen option might be just to paint one of your entire walls green or blue. I've seen this done before and it's super convenient, super cheap, and you'll never have to worry about wrinkles or having the screen take up space when not in use.

For camera stuff: I'm a fan of Blackmagic cameras because their image quality is superior to DSLRs, but if you're doing interviews or "non cinematic" pieces, just get some Canons and some L-series lens options.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the responses!

Everything I'll be shooting will be strictly web based. We will be shooting things that will live on the web only and will not be broadcast on TV or anything like that.

Budget - the 25K budget can be moved up if it has to. So, that's not really a problem at this stage. Let's assume for the moment that the budget is between 25K - 50K.

What I'll be shooting will be things like this:

Studio stuff
https://vimeo.com/109524717

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tNDObD8mF8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L8okMfKx9E

https://vimeo.com/51062593

As Alcove already asked, we're going to need much more info, particularly as the info you've provided so far is rather contradictory. For example, you state that you're a "video producer" but that you want to build a "film studio" and that you want to build it in an office. A film studio is a different thing from a video/TV studio, for starters they're usually considerably larger and even TV studios are relatively large spaces, several/many times larger than an office. Size matters, large spaces require relatively little acoustic treatment beyond isolation. The first thing we need to know is what you want to make in these studios, for example: Films, TV or Youtube vids? The second thing we need to know is what sort of films, TV or youtube vids. Greenscreen and "live event type shooting" is very vague, what sort of live events/content? Knowing the rough size/dimensions of the studio/rooms in question would also be useful.

Sorry for the confusion. We are moving into a new space that will have a basement level with 10ft high ceilings. Think something like this: http://scottsdalestudios.net/assets/images/BaseballWives1Large.JPG

It's approx 2,700 square feet with 10ft high celings. It's unfinished now and has many separate rooms at the moment. The goal is to have a giant, open space and close off as needed. Ideally, in the future we are looking to have full edit suites/audio production.

See the "office" here: https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/md/annapolis/59-franklin-street/pid_432392/

The work that I will do will be strictly "youtube" web based videos. Not broadcast. Not films.

As far as audio goes, what will you be recording? Talking heads or presenters moving about the studio or both? How many will there be? Will there ALWAYS be a PSM and/or a boom-op? Are you going to sonically treat the room(s)? We sound folks need LOTS more information.

Audio will be presenters + I would like to set up a separate, voice over booth. Yes, they will be moving about the studio when we record them. Assume we want to set up for more then 1 person. There will not always be a boom op present. I am not sure what sonically thread means - can you explain more?

You might want to start with telling what equipment you have, the space you have (already set up acoustically, shape ceiling size, electrical setup, etc.). You might want to check with some local cable access station to see their set up. They would have spent at least 10 times what you want to spend, but it will give you an idea of a small studio.

I currently have a basic set up - Canon 6ds, lav mics, tripods, 2 LED lights, stands, etc. The work I have done has been fairly basic and on a budget but we are ready to step it up and basically create for ourselves our own studio instead of outsourcing a lot of the work we do to other companies.

Last edited:
Not "thread," sonically treat the room - isolation from outside sounds and using sonic absorption, traps and diffusers.

This will give you a place to start:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec09/articles/beginnersacoustics.htm

You'll probably want to go with wireless lavs. You'll need a mixer, a multitrack audio recorder, the wireless lavs. and a selection of other mics. Instead of a VO booth you can use something like this:

05_editors_keys_pop_booth_douglas.jpg

Again, WAY too many variables to give any definitive answers.

The work that I will do will be strictly "youtube" web based videos. Not broadcast. Not films.

There are effectively no tech or QC standards which have to be met for Youtube, Vimeo, etc., so in effect, you set your own standards. This of course means that saying you want to distribute your content on Youtube is extremely vague as far as the quality you're after is concerned. Essentially, anywhere including or between home video standards and high-end commercial quality. From the vids you posted, I'm assuming a level which appears the rough equivalent of low commercial TV standards (without actually meeting broadcast tech requirements). This certainly makes your budget more realistic than it would be for a broadcast TV or film studio setup.

It's approx 2,700 square feet with 10ft high celings. It's unfinished now and has many separate rooms at the moment. The goal is to have a giant, open space and close off as needed. ... I am not sure what sonically thread means - can you explain more?

Sonically/Acoustically treated: Whenever sound is created (say a presenter speaking) in an enclosed space, the sound reflects from the various surfaces in that room. What you hear (and a mic records) is a combination of the original (direct) sound and the reflected sound. This results in the boomy, echoey effect you hear on home/amateur videos shot indoors, you loose clarity and it sounds amateurish. The closer you get the mic to the direct sound and the further from the room's main reflective surfaces (walls, ceilings), the less of this boomy effect you'll record. Lavs are positioned relatively close to the sound source (presenters' mouth), which is obviously a help and a large TV/film studios also helps, as the sound source can be positioned a substantial distance from the reflective surfaces. In a smaller room or where the presenter has to be close to a reflective surface/s, a solution is to stop that surface from being reflective, IE. Acoustically treat the surfaces, commonly with acoustically absorptive materials. This is obviously a potential issue with Moonshieldmedia's suggestion of just painting a wall to create a greenscreen. You've also got a potential issue with your 10ft ceiling as your presenter is never going to be more than a few feet away from a large reflective surface, which is why commercial TV studios are usually at least double (if not triple or quadruple) standard room height.

Having 1 large space which you "close off" as needed is relatively easy as far as the visuals are concerned, not so with sound though! Acoustic treatment has two basic aspects: 1. Isolation - Stopping external sound/noise entering the recording environment and 2. Controlling the reflections of sound created within the recording environment. If you "close off" the area using, for example, black cloth sheets, you're not going to negatively affect the reflective properties of the room (as cloth is not acoustically reflective) but you're also not going to isolate the closed-off area from the other area/s. Not a problem if you're only using the closed-off area but potentially a serious problem if you want to use the area not closed-off for some other purpose (at the same time). Isolating (acoustically) different areas of one larger space is not easy to achieve and attempting to do so means creating a number of smaller enclosed acoustic spaces which obviously can have the knock on effect of increasing the sound reflection issues for each of those closed-off spaces/areas.

Ideally, in the future we are looking to have full edit suites/audio production.

You could get reasonable results for just a few thousand; some decent speakers/monitors, some basic acoustic treatment (both aspects!) and just use your NLE to edit and mix your audio. Exactly how much this basic setup will cost will partly depend on the acoustic isolation required, for example if you need to use the edit suite at the same time as shooting is going on or at the same time as an additional edit suite (if you have more than one), then you're going to need some fairly effective isolation and that's going to put the cost up. Stepping up in quality will require dedicated audio software (AVID ProTools dominates the pro market), superior audio processing tools, better monitoring environments and obviously the skill and experience to use it all effectively. To give you an idea, a broadcast quality edit/mix room will likely cost anywhere from around $30k near the bottom of the scale to around $500k at the top, theatrical starts around $750k and goes up to around $15m.

My advice would be to get a pro studio designer to help you design the space. Even if you don't actually build or equip your edit suite/s now, planning for them now will almost certainly save a bunch of hassles and money when you do. For example, if you plan ALL your power distribution requirements now then all you'll have to do is add in the additional cabling later rather than maybe having to upgrade/redesign the whole system later. And, there could easily be acoustic considerations which if planned for now may cost relatively little to implement later but if not planned now might be cost prohibitive or impossible later. There are so many acoustic issues which can bite the inexperienced, it's more than worth the cost of paying an experienced professional studio designer for at least some consultation time. $25-$50k may only be small potatoes as far as creating a studio is concerned but it's still a chunk of change to throw away on something which doesn't fulfil it's requirements, only partially fulfils them or only fulfils them for a short period of time!

Audio will be presenters + I would like to set up a separate, voice over booth.

VO booth: A small space, very well acoustically isolated and heavily treated with sound absorbing materials. I'm not a fan of the no budget solutions like putting the mic in a lined cardboard box. Basically you want a VO to sound present but not like someone is breathing and talking right in your ear. You need to get the talent back from mic a bit, so a VO booth is by far the best option unless you've got the time and skill to fix it all during editing/mixing. Again, planning it now, even if you don't need it now, will pay dividends when you do need to build/equip it.

Yes, they will be moving about the studio when we record them. Assume we want to set up for more then 1 person. There will not always be a boom op present.

That means wireless lavs then. Nano/micro budget filmmakers tend to go for relatively budget options, the Sennheiser system is a favourite because it's a decent quality, decently reliable system which costs several times less than the top pro wireless systems and is therefore good value for money. However, I'd advise against it in this instance. In filmmaking, lavs are largely used as a backup to the boom mic and if both lav and boom recordings are unsable, alt takes or dialogue wilds provide a potential solution and there's always ADR as a last resort. With live, unscripted type events though, these solutions/options are typically unavailable. If your lav recordings get screwed-up for some reason, you've got no sound and a re-shoot is probably the only practical way of getting any! In other words, don't cheap out on your wireless system, with 90%+ certainty, you'll regret it sooner or later! Go for Lectrosonics gear and remove the embarrassment/cost that your choice of equipment was the cause of required re-shoots.

Also, when you say more than 1 person, what do you mean? 2 people is more than 1, so you could just buy 2 wireless systems. But, what happens if you find that you start having to deal with situations where you have more people? You could just buy more individual wireless systems but it becomes increasingly difficult to manage their frequency blocks, which can interfere with each other. A better solution could well be a 6 channel modular receiver (Lectosonics Venue for example), with just two lavs and transmitters to start with. Although this would of course be more expensive than just buying 2 individual systems and provide no real benefit (until you want to expand it). There are quite a few different options and you'd need to have a good chat with a Lectro rep or expert. At a guesstimate, you're looking at about $4k for two single channel systems or $5-6k for two channels of a 6 channel modular system and roughly $1.5-2k per subsequent channel (up to 6 channels and then you'd need another receiver unit).

G

Thanks guys - so I'm in a bit of a time crunch as we are looking to include a list of gear for the loan we are using for the new office space. I have made a google doc with a gear list of items I think I will need for our studio - as far as setting it up that will happen at a later date which a good friend of mine who has worked and set up studios before will advise.

In the meantime, what do you guys think of the gear list I have put together?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NETO_NrxuCUoRjaf4i2jLgMz-Fcavimm9i34BHnzBVQ/edit#gid=0

I only did a quick look at your list. You might want to call B & H and talk with someone there to be sure it will be sufficient for you needs. Not sure of your ceiling size, but the LEDs might not provide enough light depending on project.

In the meantime, what do you guys think of the gear list I have put together?

Just looking at your Sound Gear section:

MKH60 - A very good mic indeed, I've used one a fair bit and rank it among the best on the market. Being near the top of the list of pro mics it's maybe a bit of overkill though, compared to your other audio equipment. If you've got the budget then sure, go for it (good mics last many years and don't become outdated like cameras) otherwise, a Rode NTG3 will give perfectly acceptable results, at the sort of quality standards you're looking at, for around a quarter of the price of a MKH60.

Rode NT1 - Not the absolute best mic for the job but certainly not a bad one. Probably a good choice for your budget/quality expectations.

Auray Reflection Filter - Superfluous if you're going to build a VO booth and inadequate if you're not!

H4n - It would be a real shame to plug a top pro mic into a low quality consumer recorder/pre-amp. I wouldn't really want to plug even an NTG3 into a H4n, let alone a MKH60. It's a bit like fitting a Ferrari engine in a Ford Fiesta! Also, it's a 2 channel recorder, which is fine if you've got say one presenter (and therefore a boom and a lav mic or two people with one lav each) but obviously useless if you've got more than 2 mics.

Auralex Kit - You want to buy acoustic treatment before you know what acoustic problems you've got which need treating? That's like going to the pharmacist and buying medicine before going to your doctor to find out what illness you've got!

JBL LSR305s - Good choice as a pair of little desktop speakers for use in a small video editing suite. Not so suitable for any vaguely serious audio post work though.

You have not budgeted for wireless lavs, what are you going to do when you haven't got a boom op or when the unscripted nature of live event type content means a boom mic can't be used effectively? You didn't say anything about making silent films! A decent set of wireless lavs could easily surpass the budget you've set for all your other sound gear combined.

Thanks guys - so I'm in a bit of a time crunch as we are looking to include a list of gear for the loan we are using for the new office space.

In which case, just list the price for an Alexa camera body, job done ... Or, do you want a list of equipment to create a studio which looks pro/semi-pro but will only be suitable/usable some of the time? ... Or, do you want a real list of what you'll actually need to fulfil the requirements you've listed?

I'm presuming, perhaps incorrectly, that your company isn't looking to spend $25-$50k for something which just looks like a studio to impress prospective clients but that they want a fully functioning studio which eventually repays it's investment? If it's the latter, then you're going to have to approach this much more professionally or look seriously incompetent later down the line! You can't just list some bits of kit which take your fancy and some bits which other no budget amateurs can "get away with". You've got to think about the requirements you've listed, your predicted workflow/s and how to maximise the use of that $25-$50k to end up with a studio which is actually usable in practice and therefore worth it's investment. I'm sorry to sound so harsh, but at the moment you're coming across like a $500 budget filmmaker who's planning how to spend $25k on their next $500 budget film!

G

Thanks man - I already have wireless lavs so those aren't included (Sony UWP + Seinheiser)

Our workflow will not require tremendous post audio work. We really are only focusing on small budget projects. Sound design, unfortunately, is not a huge part of what we do.

H4N - interesting. I always thought that was a great device. What do you recommend for this? I want something portable so that is why I included that.

H4N - interesting. I always thought that was a great device. What do you recommend for this? I want something portable so that is why I included that.

The H4n is popular because it was the first, it's not really that good. Consider the Sound Devices 664 mixer/recorder. If that's out of your budget the Tascam DR series is decent; consider the DR-60, DR-70 (both 4 track recorders) and the DR-680 (8 tracks) should be considered. They will need a good mixer (Sound Devices, PSC), however.

Rode NTG-3 shotgun

Audio-Technica AT4053b hypercardioid

Our workflow will not require tremendous post audio work. We really are only focusing on small budget projects. Sound design, unfortunately, is not a huge part of what we do.

I had already assumed it wasn't, from looking at the type of content you're currently making. Looking at the live event side of your requirements, audio post is also not a big player here either. Usually just careful checking and source selection, basic editing, clean-up here and there, maybe some canned (audience reaction type) sfx, levelling, etc. Most live event type TV; magazine/chat shows, panel shows, game shows, reality shows, etc., are low budget. When we say low budget though, we don't necessarily mean every aspect of the "filmmaking" is done on the cheap, just that the overall budget is low. The production sound for these types of shows is usually not done on the cheap at all, usually quite the opposite. Some of them, reality shows for example, actually have bigger and more expensive production sound setups than even high budget Hollywood features. This is in fact one of the main reasons why/how the audio post requirements are kept to a minimum! If you ensure good quality production sound, you don't need ADR or other expensive/time consuming audio post workflows and it's relatively easy to ensure good quality production sound in an acoustically controlled space, IE. A studio (or in film, a sound stage).

H4N - interesting. I always thought that was a great device.

It is a great device! It's great for those with a tiny budget, who don't need more than 2 channels of low/mediocre quality basic audio recording functionality, who are gentle with it (IE. Use it relatively infrequently and carefully) and who don't have contractual deadlines or professional reputations at stake. If, after investing $25-$50k in a studio setup, you still comply with all of these conditions then a H4n may well be "great" for you.

So far you still haven't indicated what type of live type events you're talking about. 1 on 1 interviews mean 2 audio channels is fine. Panel shows, game shows and many/most other types of live events will require more channels and more functionality, possibly a lot more. Maybe just using 2 H4N's simultaneously would be the best solution or maybe a single 4 channel consumer unit? Maybe there is no option other than professional unit if; more than 4 or so audio channels, high quality, greater functionality or high reliability/usage is (or will be!) a requirement. There are advantages/disadvantages to all of these options in terms of both initial and subsequent cost.

I want something portable

Why? One of the whole points of building a studio is so that you can have fixed installations! A flexible fixed installation can simultaneously be; more functional, more reliable, higher quality, more expandable and cheaper to both buy initially and to operate subsequently! Maybe a cheap fixed installation in the studio + a H4n for field use would be the best solution?

We can't answer any of the questions I've posed and you can't compile an appropriate or reliable list of equipment without knowing what your company wants/hopes for in return for their investment. What sort of live type events do they want to be able to make in-house? What workflow efficiencies are they expecting? How important is the potential for expandability and/or future workflow efficiencies?

G

Back