• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Ever sumbit to Amazon Video Direct?

What was the file size of your feature film that you submitted to Amazon Video Direct?
I just rendered my 90 minute movie and it was 39 GB. Does this sound normal?

I encoded in ProRes 422. I decreased the aspect ratio to 1280 from 1920 and it was obviously still a huge file.

Last edited:
What was the file size of your feature film that you submitted to Amazon Video Direct?
I just rendered my 90 minute movie and it was 39 GB. Does this sound normal?

I encoded in ProRes 422. I decreased the aspect ratio to 1280 from 1920 and it was obviously still a huge file.

My 72 minute movie was close to 95 GB as a Prores 422 HQ. I fiddled with it and got it down to 50 something GB but was not able to successfully upload it. The movie was on a Createspace so Amazon eventually did it for me but I still need to provide the closed captions.

My 72 minute movie was close to 95 GB as a Prores 422 HQ. I fiddled with it and got it down to 50 something GB but was not able to successfully upload it. The movie was on a Createspace so Amazon eventually did it for me but I still need to provide the closed captions.
Why were you not able to upload it? Did you get an error message or something?
So Amazon pulled video off your DVD?

Why were you not able to upload it? Did you get an error message or something?
So Amazon pulled video off your DVD?

My case is a little complex in that I should have waited for Amazon to migrate my existing title from Createspace which was also available as a Amazon VOD only title to Amazon Video Direct. I sent Createspace awhile a DVD awhile ago and from that they pulled off the video.

I got an error saying something like "title already live." Plus my closed captions weren't correctly done either which created another error message and rejection. It's unclear to me whether I actually uploaded to Amazon Video Direct since it was taking 24 to 48 hours. Some attempts were clearly failures and I'm not sure if it was on their end or if my internet service stopped working briefly for some reason although it seems to very good.

Back