Equipment Priorities?

Hello, everyone! I've been lurking around this forum for quite a while and I've learned a lot of pretty cool things. I think it's finally time for me to start posting, though. I have about $1,600 to spend on equipment for filmmaking. I need a lot of things and I wasn't quite sure which I should acquire first, or if I should just save more and buy it all around the same time.

I have a crappy old camcorder I have been using to make movies and I think the quality of the video, among other things, is really starting to hinder my creativity and productivity. It's a really bad camera. The battery on it is at a point where it only lasts about 20 minutes and replacement batteries don't exist because it's so old. I have no sound equipment at all. I do have lights that I use, but they are just lamps that I position around the room when I need them. They work though. Also, I guess I probably need a better computer to edit higher quality footage from whatever camera I get. ( I only have a single core, 2gb ddr2 ram, 100gb HD PC right now).

I realize there is no way I'll be able to get all of this anytime soon with $1,600, but that's the point. What should I buy first? Or should I wait? To sum things up I need:
- A good camera
- A good computer
- Sound equipment

P.S. Sorry if I should have posted this in one of the other forums. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for all the info guys. I think I will just save up some more pocket money. I could buy the t2i now with some nice accessories and what not, but it would be my luck that my computer wouldn't be able to handle the full hd footage. I guess I'll just wait a little bit longer so I can upgrade my PC and buy the camera.

I've just purchased the T2i. I'm running the bare minimum on my laptop for rendering HD raw footage using Sony Vegas.

It's slow; I'll be frank. Frustratingly slow.

So yeah, give your post system lots of thought. 4 cores if you can swing it, lots of speed, and a shitload of RAM and VRAM.

Thanks for all the info guys. I think I will just save up some more pocket money. I could buy the t2i now with some nice accessories and what not, but it would be my luck that my computer wouldn't be able to handle the full hd footage. I guess I'll just wait a little bit longer so I can upgrade my PC and buy the camera.

Well, since you mention it, what are you current computer's specs?

Also, I'm still waiting for some evidence of your alleged Funk!

Well, since you mention it, what are you current computer's specs?

Also, I'm still waiting for some evidence of your alleged Funk!

CPU: AMD Sempron Processor 3400+ (1800 mhz)
RAM: 2GB DDR2 RAM
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE (Only 256mb VRAM)
HARD DRIVE: 120 GB SATA

It's a pretty bad computer.

As for my funk; I once beat Travolta in a Saturday night disco dance off.

I've just purchased the T2i. I'm running the bare minimum on my laptop for rendering HD raw footage using Sony Vegas.

It's slow; I'll be frank. Frustratingly slow.

So yeah, give your post system lots of thought. 4 cores if you can swing it, lots of speed, and a shitload of RAM and VRAM.

You purchased the T2i? Did you use the coupon I posted in the forums for 12% off your camera purchase?

If people would listen to my intelligent preachings then they would save some money :)

This is simple.
I'm assuming you want the computer for editing. You can't put that to good use unless you have footage to edit. I cannot stress this enough, but sound equipment is EXTREMELY important. Unless you're filming a 1920's era silent movie (which I doubt is in demand in the film market) you cannot cut corners with sound. The camera, obviously, is the most important element, but I would wait until you can get both the camera and the sound equipment if you want to to make anything better than a home movie.

I can see the point behind droowl's comment. However, with respect, I'd also suggest that there is some wisdom in acquiring the camera first and practicing with it while you wait for the money to purchase the sound equipment. Unless you're already an expert cinematographer, of course.

Back