Equipment Help :: Newbie

I'm a Junior in High School, and with my G.P.A and SAT scores I'm pretty well-off academically for college. But the schools I'm most interested in are:

Emerson
SUNY Purchase (B.F.A. Degree)
Ithaca
Drexel
Chapman

And all of these schools, especially Purchase, require a vast amount of outside interest and creativity/ability in the field. I've got the interest, and Film Camps/attended Festivals to show for it, but I've recently been searching for an adequate camera to buy to film some of the scripts and ideas I've written up, (using FinalDraft, I taught myself after reading some professional scripts), because that's really what they're interested in seeing. What I've got so far as a primary choice in regards to camera research (My range being, unfortunately, between $500-800), and the use of this forum, is the:

Panasonic PV-GS500

I'm not filming anything extravagant that requires a crew, so please refrain from criticizing the greatly limited price range, but it's all I can afford what with college on the way and whatnot. I'm posting here to make sure I don't make a bad decision for my first camera and inevitably discourage myself because it'll be the only camera I get for quite a long time (that's why I'm stressing over it).

Some facts that may help you help me:
I use a PC (Dell)
Sony Vegas to edit (just for now, until I'm able to get a Mac and I'm very experienced with Vegas, so that's not an issue)
The price needs to include all accessories needed and whatnot.

I'm mostly interested in the Panasonic PV-GS500 + an Audio-Technica Pro-24CM Stereo Microphone (I've found a price that fits my range and includes both)

So if you guys have any suggestions on a camera in this price range ($500-$800, give or take a $100), or any suggestions at all in the area of what I'm doing as far as college goes, please let me know!

Thanks
j

Most opinions I've read about cameras in this price range is that they are all generally comperable, so you maybe shouldn't sweat the decision so much. The imnportant considerations are -- does it have a jack for an enternal mic, and does it have full manual control options for focus, exposure,etc? With that -- you should be able to learn the basics of camera control, movement, etc. I've always been happy with my Panasonic purchases (never bought a camera of theirs, though), so it sounds like a good choice. I would suggest leaving room in your budget for a tripod, a GOOD mic (which you already mentioned), and maybe some lights. Knightly will tell you that $100 worth of lighting will make a bigger better difference than $100 more for a camera (well, maybe he would...I made that up, but it sounds like something he would say :) ).

Back