EOS-M vs Panasonic G6 vs Rebel T5i

If I got the Eos-M, just the body, I could also get the "nifty 50" 50mm lens, as well as maybe a used rokinon 14mm cinema lens.

If I got the G6 I would probably just be using the 14mm-42mm kit lens.

Would I be limiting myself to much to start out with a 50mm and a 14mm for short films? I am upgrading from a camcorder, so this is all new new me, but I have spent the past several days looking at cameras and lenses and I really wanted a Wide Angle as well as the 50mm for close ups and night shots.

Also, which would you say has better video quality? Honestly, they seem very comparable. The thing about the G6 is I really like the flip out screen and digital viewfinder, but I could always get a add on viewfinder if I went with the EOS-M.

To add on, I was dead set on the G6, until I realized I couldn't use canon lenses with an adapter on it without it magnifying them 2 times because of the crop factor. I read that the 50mm would become 100mm, which would be pointless.

You could also get a speedbooster adapter and use canon EF lenses. That works as a focal reducer, so while a 50mm may not behave quite like you'd expect a 50mm to behave, it'd be more like 65-70mm instead of 100mm+.

So I just found out I can get good old Canon FD lenses on ebay for dirt cheap and use them with an adapter. I suppose I still have to factor in the crop factor, but this is pretty sweet.

You can get a relatively inexpensive focal reducer for Canon FD lenses and multiply the focal length by 0.71x (e.g., a 50mm lens would give you the field of view of a 35.5mm lens).

Third party Canon FD to micro 4/3 speed booster/focal reducer - $159

Metabones FD to micro 4/3 speed booster/focal reducer - $399

Good luck!

Quick word about the EOS-M. I bought one a couple of weeks ago as they were going for £199 with a kit lens and flash. I have to say for the money, the quality of the image is waaaayyyy beyond what I would expect (even to the point where I am singing the praises of a Canon - I'm a MFT man). Also, the kit lens that comes with it seems much better quality than that which comes with the mid-range DSLRs.

Good luck with the Panasonic. Thought I doubt you'll need it, Panasonic and Olympus come top of my list any time.

Back