• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Enthusiasm - a 24 hour project

So this is our latest project, done for the 2013 Iron Filmmaker Challenge which is a 24 hour competition - it's our first actual 24 hour project (usually we do 48 or more). This is shot half on the blackmagic pocket, half on the canon C100, the theme for the competition was "Trading Places":

https://vimeo.com/itdonnedonme/enthusiasm

We actually barely pulled this off. We were uncertain about scheduling, so we didn't sign up until a few days before the competition and half our team was unavailable. We went in with a crew of three, one actress, and a couple of small dogs... and then morning of one of our crew woke up pretty sick leaving us with just two crew and without the dog we'd already written into the story. To top it off, our actress had just pulled a 24 hour shift at her job and hadn't had any sleep...

So the three of us came up with a new idea and decided since we just had one actress to have her play dual roles, which also meant we had to get the dialogue nailed down more than we normally would. By the time we got that finished the sun was getting low, so we rushed over to the local park to start shooting. We got set up at one side of the park, but we were losing light too fast - a big problem for doing split screen where we needed the lighting in both takes to match. So we quickly shifted to the other side of the park where the lighting was better and started shooting.

About fifteen minutes in the fog rolled in... it literally changed in a few minutes from a sunny, pleasant, golden-hour evening shoot to a windy, cold and dreary shoot with all of us standing around shivering. We quickly decided it wasn't going to work and to shoot indoors at my place, but when we got there we realized it would work better to shoot right outside. So we set up there and once again started shooting one side of the conversation - only to watch the light change dramatically once again as the sun set somewhere behind all the fog. So we broke out the lights (we'd been trying to avoid that since we had such a small crew) while our actress napped, and finally started shooting all over again. We eventually got through the full script despite having to work in between the sound from the muni & buses going by on the street right next to us.

I ended up pulling an all-nighter to finish the edit, which was complicated of course by the split screen. Naturally there's a million things I'd like to change or do differently/better, but I'm reasonably happy with how it turned out, considering how it all came together.

Very nice, IDOM.

I'm envious of your team.
Someday I hope to cultivate something very similar. They always seems to be game for most anything.
They're a treasure. :yes:

Thanks guys!

I'm envious of your team.
Someday I hope to cultivate something very similar. They always seems to be game for most anything.
They're a treasure. :yes:

I know, it's been an amazing run of almost 10 years now - six years making films together, and a few years before that where many of the team were students of mine. I don't think any of us would have expected to still be doing this together by now, let alone that we'd have our busiest year at this point with six competitions.

And I've really been reflecting on how great it's been a lot recently... because unfortunately I'm about to leave them all behind! My wife got an awesome job offer that's too good to pass up - the only drawback being that it's going to require us to move across the country (I work from home so it doesn't matter where I'm located). I'll be coming back for a couple of the competitions next year, but it's definitely going to be a big change. I think I'll probably have to start recruiting a new crew so by this time next year there may well be an IDOM West & IDOM East!

Aw, man. What a mixed blessing.
Best wishes for all involved, both those going, those staying behind, and assembling a new team.

Crazy world.
GL! :yes:

Back