Egos, Arrogance, and other time wasters

Man I dont think I have ever been on a film where an ego didnt get in the way. From our lead bad guy pulling out because he thought the role was beneath him to a stunt coordinator on my last project whose ego was matched only by his arrogance.

How do I deal with it? Honestly... I tell them to fuck off. I'm a great believer there should be but one ego on a film set - the producer. And normally thats me!!!!! Ha!

Hey, I just joined up and I'm new at this whole thing, but I figured I'd give my 2 cents

I was working with my filmmaking group on our city's 48h film project and we came up with a great drama script, but our gaffer wanted to film the scene in a different set then the core production team. We had this huge abandoned building with jailcells in it. One of the cells was the classic jailhouse rock bars and such freestanding in a room. The other cell was reminiscent of a solitary confinement room. We wanted to go with the solitary confinement (it was a piece about PTSD and war and stuff, nothing political mind you) but our gaffer wanted to use the more classical cells. Also, our gaffer wasn't in our normal group, but he was providing all of the equipment. I, being the Art Director could see both sides of the argument, but it would have been more expensive to dress the classic cell rather than the solitary cell, and we only had 40 hours at this point. The director leave to get some other shots while I went to finish building props and such. I get a call from our director that even though everyone else wants the solitary cell, we're going to the classic one because Mr. Gaff want to. I put my foot down. (Mind you our filmmaking group is pretty tight, we colaborate on everything...) Long story short we went to the solitary cell.

We made it into the final round, and our actress got the best actress award for the festival! Guess it worked out alright eh?

Back