Editor's Keyboards: Do I need one?

...I have a new laptop with FCP installed. I have yet to begin to edit, however, I do know my keyboard will function for editing, I just need to know where to find the corresponding keys. (its been a while and I am forgetting where everything is) Does anyone know where I could find a editor's keyboard 'map' so I can be cheap and draw the corresponding symbols on my keyboard?....

--spinner :cool:

you can pick up one of the for dummies books, I think they have a keyboard cheat sheet on the inside covers. I use them as my primary reference for final cut and just about everything else I have to do. Very concise books.

You could also find a closeup shot of the keyboards you're looking for online and copy from there.

...yeah, that is what I was asking. The way I understand it, your standard keyboard will do whatever editing you want to do so long as you know the corresponding keys. I'll go look around and see what I can find and then I'll post if you think it will be helpful...

I'm not sure about FCP, but in Avid you can pull up a keyboard layout and assign whatever commands you want to any keys. If you can pull that keyboard layout, you can tell what keys do what function. I'd be surprised if FCP doesn't have the same thing.

To see the standard FCP keyboard layout

Go to TOOLS > KEYBOARD LAYOUT > CUSTOMISE

The keyboard diagram pops up and you can take notes from that.

For instructions on changing the layout, it's page 87 in the help manual.

I bought a set of stickers called (I think) Editor's Keys for about $20. They go on any keyboard and are a great low-cost solution.

Beeblebrox said:
I bought a set of stickers called (I think) Editor's Keys for about $20. They go on any keyboard and are a great low-cost solution.
...where did you get yours from?

Back