• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Editing Software Improvement Suggestions

I'm making this thread for people to be able to post ideas :idea: for improvements to editing software.

I've checked some editing software websites for ideas suggestions submittion, but the ones I checked state that they keep the idea and don't need to acknowledge you. I don't want some greedy company profiting from my idea without being willing to give back to me something, hence I past idea here instead so every company can benefit instead of 1 company forcing other companies to pay for rights to use something they have patented that was submitted by a user!

My first idea for video editing software follows:

A function that allows you to import a SCRIPT into the video editing software. Then the software puts the sentences/acts/scenes/dialogues along the time line(or the other way around, haha, depending on how you want to look at it). Then you can import or direct the software where the directory is that contains the video. Then the software scans the videos and uses software that listens (converts spoken words to TEXT) to the video and matches the spoken words to the imported script! Once matched up it then AUTOMATICALLY puts each video clip against the time line corresponding to the words within the script at that point in time.

This would mean that once you have finished filming a movie, all you need to do is import the script and then tell it the directory for the video clips and it AUTOMATICALLY imports the clips and puts them in the appropriate positions!

This could be improved more, such as have the software do calculated guesses as to the best clip/take for a line and automatically choose the best clip/Take for a spoken sentence (where the actor has repeatedly made mistakes, it can find the best one). (Of course you can check manually and have other takes available to choose from).

Also where you have used multiple cameras(or 1 camera for different angles), the software could track mouth movements and automatically swap cameras/clips/takes so that the video is looking at the person that is speaking.

Of course the function that 'listens' to the video and looks over the script for corresponding text, could also be used to create the Subtitles.

If you have a digital storyboard, perhaps software could even use it to visually sort clips (a clip might not have spoken words and so can't be 'listened' to as described above) by looking for visual clues to link up to the storyboard/script. Software could find word 'explosion' and listen for an explosion instead of the spoken word, etc.

The above would be to try and speed up the editing process. You would still need to manually edit and correct and make various choices after the above process has arranged the clips for you.

Yuck.

Even if the technology could work (which I don't think it could on a computer anybody could afford), why in the world would you want it? Editing (like all aspects of filmmaking) is an art based on a craft. You might as well ask for a computer where you give it the logline and it spits the CGI created movie.

VERY subtle differences can influence the choice between one take and another take, you'd have to review every single take anyway, and go make massive changes to what the software did, so why bother.

I think you are missing the point of film making, buddy. It's a form of art, not something the computer would spit out for you after chewing your script and thus make your life easier. Probably Michael Bay would love the software you have in mind, but the true spirit of film making would be dead with something like this. What you choose to look at as a boring, repetitive process is one of the most interesting aspect of film making; provided if you have love and passion for this form of art.

Why does everybody feel like they have to hate on Micheal Bay? "Transformers" is awesome, "Bad Boys" and "The Rock" are fun movies. He's doing what I would think most of us can only dream of doing. So he likes to make movies about stuff blowing up, so what? He's making a damn good living at it.

Anyway, yeah, this is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. I don't think the OP is an editor, but probably thinks of editing as an annoyance. Like, why can't you just shoot the movie, and have a DVD the next day?

Anxu, editing is a whole lot more than just figuring out which take the actor didn't flub the lines on.

I forgot who said it... but its something like "theres the movie you write, the movie you shoot and the movie you edit..."

Editing is a huge part of the creative process, not just putting clips end to end....

I reckon they should have a background rendering system which when you select final clips it renders in the background while you work on the rest, that would be useful when it comes to rendering the final project and would save loads of time.

Back