• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

editing software HELP!

I thought about getting like a $1000 editing software program. I then found the sony vegas pro ($500) and thought this would be much better. This ties into another question I have. You know how they change cmaera angles in movies for the same scene? They use more than one camera for the scene then, right? Is that something I should do to make my movies look more professional? Would a software like this be able to let me cut the scenes so I could change angles, and how do i keep the timing with audio and video the same with one continuous scene and different angles? Are there any other programs you reccomend? I'm just so unfamiliar with programs, do they have similar programs? Thanks. also, I was thinking for filming that I would use the oones I already have, one uses a vhs tape and the othe hi8. They're fairly old, but not terrible. I was going to just purchase a good boom mic. and software and see how it looks with 1 film to see if i really want to get a new camera. Can software make the footage look any better?

P.S. P.S. Heres my situation. I'm in high school and have made videos in past, but want to make good-looking MOVIES now. like feature length. I have many willing friends to cast and help, but i feel i need to be in charge of all the behind the scenes type of stuff. I love suspense and action, and of course, great films witha a great story. I dont really plan on spending money for filming. Ive got friends homes and land, etc. Thats just crazy for me to do that, in my opinion. Ill probably be spending enough on equipment as it is. Thank you friends!

Last edited:
Yes, sony vegas is a very good and very capable piece of editing software. ANY editing software will allow you to cut together multiple takes/angles to create the final product.... that's what editing is all about. ;)

That said, you do not need to use multiple cameras. In some ways it can be helpful, but it also is more to think about while shooting, so if you're running with a smaller crew it's probably better to use one camera and do multiple takes from various angles.

I've used vegas a bit in the past, but I personally prefer Adobe Premiere Pro, because it's so tightly integrated with the rest of the Adobe products (specifically After Effects, Photoshop, Audition, and Encore).. it affords me a smooth workflow from capture through final output and dvd creation.

It would probably be a worthwhile investment for you to pick up a copy of the DV Rebel's Guide, it's chock full of great info on every stage of the filmmaking process, with an aim of achieving high-end quality at minimal expense. And being an action film fan, you'll be happy that it's really geared toward producing action films on the cheap. :)

Movieman, try buying the Sony Vegas Platinum Studio first, just to get a feel for editing, besides, it's way cheaper. I use Vegas for all my editing. I just don't really see the need for you to spend $500 right now if you're new to editing. Vegas has an easy workflow and lots of effects built in to the program. Once you get experienced, then you might want to get into the Vegas Pro or like Will, the Adobe Suite. For my Projects, I use Adobe After Effects for all the cool visual effects, and the use Vegas to put it all together. I have not needed to use the Pro version of Vegas yet, the cheaper version does everything I need it to do (I use a multitude of other programs as well for various specific tasks).

Back