• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Editing Software for These Effects

Does anyone know if there's affordable editing software (under $200) that's relatively easy to use that can create the types of effects in this video (at 5-10 seconds, 38-50 seconds and 60-68 seconds into the video) which includes the floating text, lines drawing around buildings and highlighting the buildings:

https://player.vimeo.com/video/2958...lcprVj3IR2FLz7Ud6VsMZkkZSEYDfg&_hsmi=67355674

I believe it was created with Adobe Premiere/AF, but the price and learning curve is a bit too much for me. I currently use Wondershare Filmora, but it does not have this capability. Thanks!

DaVinci Resolve has a free version. It also has a steep learning curve, but it’s worth the time.

HitFilm also has a free version. Not as big of a learning curve, but not nearly as powerful as Resolve.

Either of those offer 3D compositing that you’re after.

I've done something vaguely similar (line art over live action) using artwork created in a separate program (Serif DrawPlus, .gif file with transparent background) imported into Lightworks. It was done as a "quick and dirty" exercise, inserting an "Easter Egg" into an unboxing video my son asked me to record/edit, but was so easy and effective that I'm hoping to do something more complex as a personal goal.

In fact, now that I think about it, I'm nearly sure you could do the whole thing in DrawPlus (which includes a quite a powerful animation tool): if the background is not very "video-y" then it's more of a text-and-art animation than an editing job, isn't it?

Back