• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Editing Software - Computer System

I just picked up a Sony VAIO with a 100 GB Hard Drive, though I'm probably going to be getting an external Hard Drive as well, with 200 GB on it.

The reason I got a VAIO, was because I had a Desktop VAIO back in 2002 that I used to Edit my Short Film, and I just really liked it.

I would have perhaps picked up an Apple, but the 15" Monitor Model would have cost me another $500 more than the VAIO, and I just don't have it.

My question ('s) are/is this.

1) This system came with what is called Window's Movie Maker... Now at some point I'm going to get some Editing Software (considering Adobe Premiere), but is this software a fairly functual tool till I can afford to get better?

2) Also, does anyone out there have a VAIO, and just what exactly is VAIO Media?

3) My brother just got the I Book G4, and I'm wondering, how does the Filmmaking Software that it comes with compare with Window's Movie Maker, Adobe Premiere etc.

Thanx for any input and/or help

Dark

Last edited:
Windows Movie Maker is okay. It's nothing fancy, but if you don't know much about editing you may as well start there before plopping down bucks for PremPro or Vegas.

The basics are essentially the same; add video clips to a timeline, trim to desired length, apply some transitions, and add titles and music. The PremPro just has a lot more fancy bells & whistles on top of that.

Movie Maker is about as effective as Pinnacle Studio 7, if that's any gauge. (Studio 9 or 10 is out now)

PremPro, Vegas and (forgot name of other big brand) all offer a stripped-down version of their flagship software, btw. All priced at $100. That's an alternative to paying mucho dinero for the full-fledged software.

_______

No idea about Macs. :)

Basically the more you pay for when it comes to those other brands of software, the more individual tracks you can use, and the more little tidbits come with it.

For the tracks alone, the price is worth it. For very simple projects I could get away with 3 or 4 video tracks. On some productions, like when I had 4 picture-in-pictures overlayed over a video clip, and text etc. I had close to 20 video tracks. More video tracks also allow you to seperate clips by individual angles and apply filters to the whole tracks. For instance, say you are shooting a dialogue scene with 3 angles (common). The master shot- the CU of character 1 and the CU of character 2. You put all of the shots from the CU1 on one track, and the others on their own track. Then you add filters and tweak the whole track instead of adding filters to each clip like you would have to do if they were on the same track.

WMM will get you by for now and help you to understand the basics - in fact its probably good training. Vegas, Premeire or Avid are the way to go when you want to step up. Vegas is what I use and I still am finding new ways to use multiple tracks.

Back