• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Editing on a laptop?

I am always hearing to stay away from laptops when editing. Just wondering if anyone here using a pro editing system with a lap top.

I wonder that because you can move a laptop with you and work whereever you happen to be.

Or no one dares.

The trick to notebook editing is external monitoring.

There you go. Then the laptop becomes not portable after all. No laptop has a big enough screen.

I can't imagine doing color correction and grading without having a NTSC monitor. What looks good on your computer may look like crap on the tube and vice versa.

External data backup is ABSOLUTELY required.

Then there is the sound -- you got to have decent speakers to get it all right.

There are other things as well, but the point is this: you can't easily lug around all the stuff needed to edit a feature film.

Besides, most films are rejected from festivals. There's a reason for this. Your editing suite is your most vital piece of equipment -- more important than your camera.

not very brave

That wasn't my point. I'm pointing out that the OP is getting advice from people who likely never edited a feature film that got accepted into a festival. If you're aiming for that level, a laptop alone won't do.

Good luck.

Last edited:
lol, that's probably true. But I do have a deep understanding about computers, so my comment should count for something.

Of course, all comments count for something. Each individual has a different perspective, so just lay it all out and let the OP make an informed decision.

but if you wait till you have the best equipment, nothing will ever get done.

Yes, I agree with this. But it wasn't what the OP was asking. But you are right, if you only have a laptop, by all means, go ahead and make the best film you can with what you have!

This is largely about semantics at this point. Color grading isn't editing, it's color grading. Same thing with sound design. Sure, there are times when you need to hook up to the appropriate peripherals, but a modern laptop can handle every element of a polished feature for a film festival. Many external drives and raids are pretty small and don't need external power and fit right in your laptop bag.

This is largely about semantics at this point. Color grading isn't editing, it's color grading. Same thing with sound design. Sure, there are times when you need to hook up to the appropriate peripherals, but a modern laptop can handle every element of a polished feature for a film festival. Many external drives and raids are pretty small and don't need external power and fit right in your laptop bag.

Lets make this clear, color grading and sound design isn't something you do in an afternoon. You could be sitting at your computer for months for these things alone on a feature film, correct?

Oh, and yes, color grading IS part of editing. Do you not make editing decisions along the way to achieve the final "look" you want? I know I color grade and color correct along the way to see what works and what doesn't and edit accordingly.

We can agree to disagree.

Last edited:
I have to agree, color grading is a part of editing. I think sound design is also a part of editing also, but it is kind of its own thing that you do apart from the video editing. but there is a point where the two come together and one or the other is influenced or changed based on the editing decisions you have made with the other.

There you go. Then the laptop becomes not portable after all. No laptop has a big enough screen.

I think it's a hassle to use a laptop for editing. Just as you say, all these peripherals, I've done it, I even put a peripheral keyboard. But it can be done, not sure why anyone would want to but it's feasible. I think a NLE should be like a temple, no web, no games, clean dedicated machine. Esp if you're on a PC.

Ah no. Color grading is color grading, editing is editing, and sound design is sound design and VFX is VFX. Come on now, editing is not a synonym for post production.

QFT.

I'm not sure where all the snobbery about editing on laptops has come from. To sum up: it's possible, people have done it before (see - Monsters), it can be a lot more portable, but with lots of peripherals it's a bit of a hassle. Done.

If I could I'd have a laptop and a desktop, but I still seem to have managed to edit a feature* (that's still waiting on a grade, hence no festival submissions), a couple of music videos and several short films, even though that's apparently impossible and I will be struck down by the NLE gods for even trying.

(* the sound editor is using a desktop, if it makes you feel any better)

At the risk of the appearance of beating a dead horse, we are talking ultra-ultra-low budget if an entire feature is going to be post produced on a single workstation, quasi-portable or not.

People will just use what's available to get their film done, which is part of the spirit of independent film. In a perfect world, there will be collaboration with experts in their field in regard to correction, grading, Foley, ADR, sound design, etc., all with their own specialized editing suites. Oh, and people that do nothing but edit for a living.

Again, out of necessity and available resources, independent filmmakers do what they have to do and frequently find themselves in the position of "Jack of all trades and master of none." That's just how it is.

So, if you're working on a laptop or a desktop, go forth and maketh your movie. ;)

Last edited:
Back