• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Editing on a lap top

I am talking about Sony Vegas 11 Visual Effects suite. I use Vegas on a desk top but will be traveling a bit.

I want to invest in a lap that could edit as well as my desktop. I checked out the tech stuff but some of it is

foreign to me. I was looking at the Hp Pav. dv7.

What I am wondering though is - is there a laptop that can handle this? Traveling, shooting videos and

being able to edit where ever I am..burn a dvd...is the goal for this. I wouldn't use the laptop for anything

other than editing (and internet which I gather is a must anyway).

Thanks.

K.

I would advise spending $150-$200 on a good professional set of headphones. Headphones are far from ideal for editing/mixing sound and I would usually advise against them but in this case they are the lesser of two evils because, with the exception of mobile phones, laptop speakers are about the worst you can buy. Professional quality headphones will at least will allow you to hear the full frequency spectrum contained in your production sound, which laptop speakers won't.

G

I've been cutting on a Lenovo ThinkPad when I'm not on a tower. The sucker is heavy because its got a workstation quality graphics card in it, but it is a work horse in the edit room. I have a second monitor attached frequently as well as external drives. Few to no issues. If your going to be doing a lot of editing it would be best to stick to workstation quality machines. Companies that make them are HP, Dell and Lenovo. I can't speak for Dell cause i've never used them but HP and Lenovo are good machines. Stay away from non-workstation quality machines, no matter what anybody says - they work fine for a little while but can't handle the long term beating an NLE puts on their system.

Hope this helps!

Back